Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive Size Problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Hard Drive Size Problem

I do not know encryption, but wonder if that is part of the issue. I believe the .private is part of the encryption. All the tmpfs are temp files created by the system.

Resizing your encrypted file system can not be done directly as of yet with Gparted as Gparted sees the encrypted partitions as unformatted space.
    How to: Resize an Encrypted Partition (LUKS)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4530641
    How to Resize a LUKS Encrypted File System.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=726724
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

It definitely looks like it is part of the issue. Do you know if there's any way to just turn encryption off? I have no real need for it. I only set it up because at the time of the install I had no reason not to and it sounded like a nice little security measure. I had no idea it was so costly and really don't need anything secured like that on this machine...

Beans

hi, first u have to determine the size of ur drive, run the following command:
    sudo lshw -C disk

If its shows ur drive size is 150 GB, then to create partition use Gparted, run the following command:
    gksudo gparted

Now select ur SSD drive from the drop down list.
    Right click on the whitebat and choose NEW.
    For new size the number should be the maximum allowable, to fill the entire disk.
    choose primary partition.
    use "ext3" filesystem if u want to use the partition only in ubuntu , If u want to use it in windows choose "NTFS".
    Now click on the Add.
    Click Apply. Then the disk will be formatted & partitioned.

Beans

Resolution - in case anyone else has a similar issue and stumbles on this thread:

The problem had to do with the encrypted home directory. It effectively doubled the size of my home with half of that being in a hidden area that most GUI programs didn't detect. So home = 5GB, and encrypted home = another 5GB that isn't easily seen.

I didn't really need the encryption in the first place, but I didn't find any good way of removing it from a quick search. I probably could have corrected the problem by moving the home area to the bigger hard drive but it all seemed more trouble than it was worth so I just reformatted the drive (btrfs this time thanks to oldfred) and re-installed Ubuntu 11.10 (64-bit this time). I turned off the encrypted home directory and moved home to the larger hard drive.

Everything seems good now My only complaint is that the vast majority of my programs will be executed from the disk-based hard drive and not my SSD because that's where home resides. I wish it was easier to choose which physical disk / partition the program got installed on, like I could with Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Programs are not in /home just user settings & program data.

Even though the Phoronix comparison showed btrfs as very good, I thought ext4 held up well and is currently the 'standard', so I use ext4 for all new Linux partitions.

My new SSD had the entire system on the SSD including /home. But I split my /home and only have the hidden settings in /home. All data is in a data partition and linked back to /home. Even those programs that store data in hidden .folders get moved to my data partition if the data starts to become large. The only large hidden folder I have not moved is .wine as I understand that is more difficult.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12