Thread: prefix is npt set

Beans

prefix is npt set

I install ubuntu 11.10, using wubi. It asks to reboot.
    I reboot, than the message in bios: try hd(0,0) prefix is not set. Than it disappears and installation completes. After one more reboot.
    Again this message: "try hd(0,0) prefix is not set". And i enter ubuntu. But there is some problem with the screen it doesn't show the working place properly, only stripes in different colors and loading logo of ubuntu 5 times in a line. (i can be false with terms)
    I can open ctrl+alt+f1 and screen becomes black, i even can see that there are some strings, but can't see the letters. So I uderstand that OS have a response on my actions, but visually - impossible to see anything
    I tryed to burn iso on disk and use "try it", booting from disk
    It displays me language select and after I choose it, there is only black screen

What shall I do?
    thank you all for attention

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: prefix is npt set

When you get to the "Try Ubuntu" option menu hit F6 and try the various boot options starting with nomodeset, but if that is no good try the others one by one.

Beans

Thank you - it has helped me to boot from disk and load "Try it"
    All is clear and properly seen. But the problem with already installed ubuntu isn't solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Press 'E' on the first entry in the grub menu, add nomodeset and Ctrl+X to boot. See here for more info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

PS the 'prefix' not set error is meaningless - it shows on all wubi installs since 11.04 until such time as the grub devs remove it or its cause. It doesn't signify any problem.

Beans

Thank you very much, All is being working now

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Excellent!

You got the best help possible from our 2 esteemed members.

Enjoy and please mark this Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.