Thread: Ubuntu FreeRadius Permission Denied

Beans

Question Ubuntu FreeRadius Permission Denied

I am trying to set up CoovaChilli on Ubuntu Server 9.04. When I get to the step:
    mysql -u root -p radius < /etc/freeradius/sql/mysql/schema.sql
    I get "Permssion Denied" for the schema.sql file. I believe that it is a permission issue for that file, because when I change to that directory, I get Permssion Denied if I try to do a "dir". If I use the "sudo dir" it works. How can I get permssion to use the file, or is it something else? My background is in Windows servers, so this is my first Ubuntu experience. I will be glad to read any documentation, but I could not find an answer to this through Google. I thank you for any answers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu FreeRadius Permission Denied

Does

Code:
    sudo mysql -u root -p radius < /etc/freeradius/sql/mysql/schema.sql
    work?

You probably don't need to (and shouldn't) take ownership of that file, but you might get some joy with chown (change ownership).

See:

Code:
    man chown
    for details.

Incidentally, while "dir" works, "ls" is 'more Linux'.

Beans

Talking Re: Ubuntu FreeRadius Permission Denied

Thanks! The sudo, did not work, but your response did get me to thinking. I checked the owner of the files, and saw that they were owned by root. I logged in as root, and retried the command, and it works perfect.
    Thank you for the tip.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu FreeRadius Permission Denied

Quote Originally Posted by hoffmeyer4 View Post
    Thanks! The sudo, did not work, but your response did get me to thinking. I checked the owner of the files, and saw that they were owned by root. I logged in as root, and retried the command, and it works perfect.
    Thank you for the tip.
    No problem, hope you enjoy your sql.

Can you show others your problem is solved by marking it solved, under 'thread tools' at the top. Thanks.