Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tevii S480

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Tevii S480

Ok well had to remove the card, fed up with it, not passed the wife factor.

Going to return it, maybe look at the TBS dual dvb-S2

Beans

arh... I hope I don't run into the same issue. This morning - after 12 hours of "ideling" - I was still able to get a picture.

my WAF has been bleeding over the past 6 months, the patient is in intensiv care, but their is still hope for survival. The only thing I need is more tuners and HDD space... we are recording like mad

Beans
    Distro

I wonder if my card was faulty then?
    I rebooted and it worked but after 2 hours (watching a DVD) it lost signal again, so i had to take it out.

Beans

I will try again this evening. Tomorrow I will test with HD channels.

But yes your card could be defect. Do you have another PCIe slot you could test it in?
    Worst case would be if your mobo is at fault.

The other dvb cards I use are TechnoTrend S2-3200 Budget cards and those I will not recommend - slow tuning and HD does not really work.

Beans
    Distro

My motherboard (asus M2N66) has 2 PCI-e slots but one in covered by the heat sink of the video card, I paid much less of the price amazon is asking which is mad!

The card was detected fine and worked, both tuners were in use for 13 hours continuously. it's this losing signal when idle that caused the problems.
    I think that rules out the motherboard?

The card is in the post now, on it's way back to Germany not wasting anymore time on it.

I also note the seller has reduced this card by £10 so I guess he is having a few problems with it.

Will be looking at other cards for the S2 channels, The Nova S2 I ordered arrived but was returned as it was sold as a dual tuner which it's not, only 1 LNB input and a price tag of £108 for a single tuner is a non starter.

The TBS quad 6984 has working Linux drivers and I've seen it at £160 so £40 per tuner which is pretty good.

I really hope you have a better experience with the Tevii s480.

Beans

Well I have been testing it to see if it drops its signal at any point and still now issues.

I left the machine on for 14 hours without any sat cable connected. Reconnected and got instant picture. Now I will leave it on a channel with the cable connected to see if it looses the picture at any point.

What else could I test?

I fully understand why you returned the card and I also would go for the TBS as an alternative.

Beans
    Distro

Sounds like your card is working well.
    I had no other issues with the card after I got it working, just this losing signal.

Shame really as the picture from it was very good.
    The card stayed "found" by the system, so not like it was asleep and you had to wait for it to wake like waiting for a usb hard drive to spin up.

more like the one of the amplifiers powered down on the card, but thats so deep into the firmware how would you be able to power it back up or stop it powering down?
    I also had problems with the onboard sata not finding the disks when the Tevii card was plugged in, that was why it was "hanging" at boot.

Maybe I will look only at full size PCI DVB-s2 cards?

I hope the German seller plays ball, they have not emailed me.

My box is much happier now, the stability has returned, the picture is not as good from the Nova cards but then they are a few years old now.

Whats your dish setup? I have 2 quad LNB's 1 looking at 28.2 and the other looking at 19.2 on a side arm mounted on a 90cm dish. Bags of signal no rain fade anymore.

Beans

I would for sure google all I can to be sure to find a card that is well supported in this and Mythtv forum.

the TBS cards look nice but I don't know how well supported they are in the different forums.

Happy hunting and when you have decided please post it here as a "solution"

Cheers

PS. I have one quad lnb also on a 90 cm dish. I am in Denmark. My new build is based on a Asus M4A785TD-M EVO rev 1.02G which support my old PCI cards as well as 2 PCIe cards. This a 100% BE so no need for the nvidia vdpau support.
    3x500GB HDD for recordings and 1x250 HDD for OS and DB.

Beans
    Distro

If your setup is a backend only how do you get the HD signal out to the frontends? When I try to stream HD across my network I find it too slow, I run a 1Gb router with a 1Gb hub?

I was left thinking the backend/frontend is the only one that can "play" the HD dvb-s2 stuff.

My little laptop in the kitchen when trying to watch HD gives me 2 screens split across the middle that update very very slowly, takes ages to get it to change off the HD channel.

I've not played too much as I was busy with the card issues.

Beans

I also have a gigabit network, but no problems with HD.

A good picture is often dependant on the FE and its GPU. I know that Nvidia currently provide best support under linux and therefor also for HD.

Read more here

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU

And HD material cannot be viewed over wifi - it is too slow.
    Last edited by mikulator; February 19th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast