Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Support End Date

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Support End Date

I've been using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and am happy with it, so I don't see any benefit for me to move up to the latest version, Ubuntu 11.10.

I had two questions that I was hoping someone could address for me.

1. I saw that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is supported for three years, but I couldn't find what date support for this OS will end?

2. When support for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS finally does end, does the OS somehow give you a prompt, perhaps when doing updates or do you just have to remember the date that support will end?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Support End Date

The EOL date will be April 2013. Ubuntu's version numbers are not like most programs; they use year.month instead of numbering sequentially. Thus "10.04" came out in April, 2010. The day is always the last day of the month, and the ".3" at the end of the version indicates it's the third "service pack" (which actually includes all of the updates for the first couple of years, so you don't have to download so many of them).

If you visit the forums regularly there will be lots of chatter as the EOL date approaches, but so far as I know there's not any specific notification. Once a release hits EOL, it simply quits getting automatic security update notifications.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Support End Date

Quote Originally Posted by erbad View Post
    1. I saw that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is supported for three years, but I couldn't find what date support for this OS will end?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way