Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAIO Hibernating Birghtness Problem.

Beans

VAIO Hibernating Birghtness Problem.

Hi Ubuntu Masters.

I've recently installed oneiric in my VAIO laptop and everything is fine. Well almost. Somethings are not working:

1-I cant Hibernate: Neither by unity menu nor the 'pm-hibernate' command. AFAIK it does hibernate because the disk led is blinking when I ordered. But when I turn it on again it shows the login screen instead of the unlock screen asking for the password.

2-I Cant Change the Brightness of the screen. When I press the Fn+key combination, unity display the modal panel displaying the supposed brightness level, but it just remain the same always.

3-My Memory Stick Pro Duo integrated card reader neither works. This have two card readers, the one I just mentioned and one for SD cards(This works perfectly).

4-Blank Virtual Terminals. I Cannot Crtl+Alt+ F* anymore. Also Ubuntu splash gets a littler lower resolution. This used to work before I Change from Nouveau to NVIDIA driver.

My Laptop: Sony Vaio CW VPCCW19FX.
    My Video Card: NVIDIA GFORCE with CUDA G210M.
    My Card Reader: Ricoh Co Ltd Memory Stick Host Controller.
    My Kernel: 3.0.0-15-generic 64bits
    My NVIDIA Driver: nvidia_current_updates (Via Jockey)

Anything else you need please let me know.

http://pastebin.com/4NJfr4Pm >> My PC-Config

Beans

Re: VAIO Hibernating Birghtness Problem.

How much RAM do you have? How large is the swap partition?

I have done little with Oneiric but have spent time with hibernation in Natty. Hibernation actually works beautifully in Natty but the installer in one case did not make the swap space quite large enough to make hibernation work. I enlarged the swap just a smidgen with the live CD to be just as big as the RAM, and hibernation (or the resume from hibernation, to be precise) worked beautifully after that.

FYI, the swap space is used to save off a snapshot of your RAM during hibernation, so if it's smaller than the amount of RAM you have, it may not work.

I use gparted to check partition sizes and to resize. I'm not sure it's included in the Oneiric CD anymore - you may have to use a different live CD (like Parted Magic) to resize. Or you can install gparted in a live CD (one time til you end the session) if you are on the internet while it's booted...

There are solutions for the brightness keys for various laptops. I fixed it for a few of mine - involves adding a string to your /etc/default/grub file and update-grub. Google for it, I forget exactly how I did it.

Beans

Thanks for your Reply.

I have 7971MB of RAM and 7.81GB of SWAP. Do you think if I resize the swap it will work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jhonnytunes View Post
    Thanks for your Reply.

I have 7971MB of RAM and 7.81GB of SWAP. Do you think if I resize the swap it will work?
    Resizing the swap to make it 8.00GB exactly (or slightly more if you aren't sure of the math in Gparted) it is the first thing I would do. Err on the size of a few more MB to the swap than a few less.

If that means resizing a partition next to it that has any sort of important data on it, make sure you backup that data before attempting a resize operation. Partition resizing with Gparted is very reliable but still the possibility of an error exists, and that could cause you to lose all data in that partition. Partition resizing can take a long time, but since you aren't adding that much to the swap, it might not take much time in your case.

Beans

SWAP now is ~16GB. Hibernate not working yet. VAIO-buntu sucks. I got to change this for a DeLL 1.

Beans

SWAP now is ~16GB. Hibernate not working yet. VAIO-buntu sucks. I got to change this for a DeLL 1.
    Sorry to hear that. Hibernation/Suspend issues can be challenging in Ubuntu on laptops, unfortunately. I have an Acer netbook that suspends/resumes fine 9/10 times but the 10th time it freezes and I have to do a hard shutdown.

Some Dells (like mine) definitely work better, in part because Dell some of their laptops with Ubuntu not Windows on them, so they work out some of the issues like this. My Dell is extremely reliable with suspend and hibernation on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Beans

I consider my laptop is a War Tank, everything is powerful but the procesor. But VAIO is not made for the penguin. I think I should think about change this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

1-I cant Hibernate: Neither by unity menu nor the 'pm-hibernate' command. AFAIK it does hibernate because the disk led is blinking when I ordered. But when I turn it on again it shows the login screen instead of the unlock screen asking for the password.
    You have an encrypted swap partition. Unfortunately hibernate does not work with encrypted swap partitions.

2-I Cant Change the Brightness of the screen. When I press the Fn+key combination, unity display the modal panel displaying the supposed brightness level, but it just remain the same always.
    Two suggestions. Either/and:
    1. Add:
      Code:
      Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
      ...to the Device section of your xorg.conf file (log out and in again for it to take effect)
    2. Add:
      Code:
      acpi_backlight=vendor
      ...to the kernel boot line (see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...nu_During_Boot for temporary test procedures

Beans

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I tested the option in the Xorg file and the argument after the kernel in the grub2 boot screen, didnt work. Thanks for the swap tip, im gonna work on that.

Sorry for make you lost your time, I Think I got to change to Dell Laptop soon or early because they support linux. Esta mierda, make me lose time while working on college project.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Vaio really are not good with linux, but I am now having excellent results running 11.10 on mine, but since it worked straight out of the box I am unlikely to be able to help.
    No I'm sorry, the banjo does not run on linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast