Thread: 'Class names are only accepted if annotation processing is explicitly requested'

Hybrid View

Beans

'Class names are only accepted if annotation processing is explicitly requested'

Hi-
    I'm running xubuntu 11.10 and have been working on a simple java program for a school assignment. Had the program working just fine on the computers at school, then tried to do the same at home and got this error:

amanda@Marvin:~$ cd /home/amanda/Desktop
    amanda@Marvin:~/Desktop$ javac NameInStars.jav
    error: Class names, 'NameInStars.jav', are only accepted if annotation processing is explicitly requested
    1 error
    amanda@Marvin:~/Desktop$

The class name matches the name the file is saved under, all the capitalization is accurate, and the file extension is accurate. Also tested with a sample program that came with Crimson Editor and got the same error, so I know it's not an issue with the program I was writing. When checking what java I had on my system, I fourd Java 6 openJDK, java 6 sun, and Java 7 openJDK. Also have java 6 sun JDK but unsure where (terminal says it is installed). The following is what's apparently running:

amanda@Marvin:~$ javac -version
    javac 1.6.0_26
    amanda@Marvin:~$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_26"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Is it just a matter of clearing out some of the assorted extra versions of java, or is something else the cause?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 'Class names are only accepted if annotation processing is explicitly requested'

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Try renaming NameInStars.jav to NameInStars.java. See: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutori...ems/index.html.

Beans

Re: 'Class names are only accepted if annotation processing is explicitly requested'

Looks to have done it! Guess I'll have to watch for that with crimson editor now that I know, had noticed it had saved it that way but I didn't think it would gum things up that badly. Thanks for the help