Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: issues with privileges.

Beans

issues with privileges.

was wondering if someone can help a noob out... i have 10.04 with linuxcnc. it has been working fine for a while, then i couldnt access the folders through my network all off a sudden. i rebooted ubuntu, and then it appears i lost all privileges somehow. if i click on the applications dropdown menu, it shows nothing. If i click on the system tab, it only shows a few items like about gnome or whatever.

I was able to get into terminal with ctr+alt+f1, and i was able to log in, check the groups, and permissions. all seem to be ok, it says i was in the admin group. But still no access to anything. Any ideas?
    Last edited by howefield; August 23rd, 2013 at 08:33 PM.

Beans

Re: issues with privileges.

i used to get an apt authentication error on startup, could this be related? i'm trying to run updates now from terminal to see if that helps.

Beans

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

daniel50; Hi !

Version 10.04 desktop has reached End Of Life. Do you really want to beat a dead horse ?
    It is highly and I mean HIGHLY recommended to upgrade to a current version ... EOL versions do not get any further support or security updates. -> not safe to be on the 'net with it at all .

Back up your files and install !

Else; given reason enough an attempt can be made to fix 10.04 ...but it better be worth the effort.

what ya want to do
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Thanks, but linuxcnc is only supported on 10.04, so i I cannot upgrade. This is solely a cnc machine.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I do not know anything about your cnc software, but I am wondering if you do need the 10.04 desktop GUI. The 10.04 Server Edition is supported till 2015 and will provide you with a terminal only interface.

And more iffy territory would be updates throught the old-releases channels.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EO...s#Requirements

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

Beans

You might want to download and burn the 10.04 installer CD if you don't already have it, and boot off of it and then try 'repair existing Ubuntu' or whatever it says when it boots.

It might help if I knew exactly what you're doing with it. Is this a graphical workstation or just an embedded controller style setup, what runs machine tools? I know what CNC is, but have never seen it in action. All the machine tools (cad/cam) I've seen you have a workstation somewhere, you put your CAD file on a usb stick or CD or whatever and then walk it over to the CNC where you load it and run it on a simple menu-driven program.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

daniel50;

See the above post ... ok, we can make it to where your machine is of continued use with 10.04.
    Let's look at what might be preventing access to the GUI ...post back the output of terminal codes:
    Code:
    ls -al ~/.ICEauthority
    ls -al ~/.Xauthority
    Many times the permissions on these files have been changed, preventing access.

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I do not know anything about your cnc software, but I am wondering if you do need the 10.04 desktop GUI. The 10.04 Server Edition is supported till 2015 and will provide you with a terminal only interface.

And more iffy territory would be updates throught the old-releases channels.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EO...s#Requirements

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/
    It is installed as a package.... linuxcnc and 10.04 together from www.linuxcnc.org. I don't think you can really do it any other way without knowing what you're doing, which i do not lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    You might want to download and burn the 10.04 installer CD if you don't already have it, and boot off of it and then try 'repair existing Ubuntu' or whatever it says when it boots.

It might help if I knew exactly what you're doing with it. Is this a graphical workstation or just an embedded controller style setup, what runs machine tools? I know what CNC is, but have never seen it in action. All the machine tools (cad/cam) I've seen you have a workstation somewhere, you put your CAD file on a usb stick or CD or whatever and then walk it over to the CNC where you load it and run it on a simple menu-driven program.
    linuxcnc is a machine control program. It's not CAM/CAD. It uses hardware to control a mill or lathe or whatever you decide to build with it. I was unaware of a 'repair existing Ubuntu' function on the installer cd. I'll look into that, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    daniel50;

See the above post ... ok, we can make it to where your machine is of continued use with 10.04.
    Let's look at what might be preventing access to the GUI ...post back the output of terminal codes:
    Code:
    ls -al ~/.ICEauthority
    ls -al ~/.Xauthority
    Many times the permissions on these files have been changed, preventing access.
    just try'n to help
    It says no such file exists for either one.

It's so weird because i literally changed nothing. Didn't delete any files, didn't modify them lately, nothing. All i do is run the mill with this computer.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Beans

If you KNOW nothing changed on the Linux box, then chances are something changed somewhere else. This could be a network problem. Could you have changed access or had an upgrade of some sort on the remote system?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast