Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Touchpad and mouse problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Touchpad and mouse problems.

In that case, I would remove the section you just added to xorg.conf to keep clutter out. If it were my machine, the next thing I would try is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge remove xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    and see if the stock mouse driver doesn't get stuck. You will lose tap to click and drag to scroll, but it that solves the problem, you might be able to use another driver.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I suppose the correct command is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    In any case, xserver-xorg-input-synaptics removed. I see increased speed in cursor movements, but the problem is still here.

Beans

Any progress on this (he asks, knowing full well that this thread is 2 months old and if there was progress it would have been reported)?

It sounds a bit like what I'm describing here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=mouse+stuck

Looks like in my case, the mouse clicks ARE working, but the GUI isn't interpreting them to be on the right layer. For example, within an application, if a context window pops up (OK / Cancel), I can't click on it. I try, but the clicks are actually being registered on the application window BEHIND it. Particular windows seem to assume control of the mouse, making it difficult / impossible to click elsewhere in the GUI.
    I can click around in an app, but no where outside of it (settings, other app windows, etc). But closing the app that has assumed control of the mouse (alt-f4) and suddenly I can. This appears to happen in almost any application, Firefox, X-chat, documents, however on occasion it will work fine.

Are you sure this isn't what you are noticing?

Beans

I only want to mention that the Acer Extensa Notebooks do have different Touchpads. I for instance own an Acer Extensa 5230e that has no Synaptics-Touchpad in it, but an ALPS-Touchpad.

Maybe this might cause some of the problems?

I only know that to find out which touchpad-producer has contributed the touchpad in your specific device you can put the following in a Terminal:

grep -B 5 mouse /proc/bus/input/devices

If - after that - some text like the following appears, your device has a Synaptics-Touchpad:
    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=0000
    N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

But if some text appears like as this, then your device has an Alps-Touchpad:
    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0008 Version=6337
    N: Name="AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"

Maybe there are other producers of touchpads as well, but in case of some of the acer extensa notebooks you can find different touchpad models in notebooks with the same model-numbers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12