Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install but no OS after reboot

Beans

install but no OS after reboot

It is the first time I subscribe to a Forum. I do not know how to use it. I am trying to install ubuntu server on an hp proliant dl 120 g7 but after installing and booting it wouldn't enter to the graphical operative system. It displays an error FD0 read error or something. I've tried it with Linux Enterprise and Fedora as well but didn't succeed as well. Could you please help me or refer me to someone else who could be helpful?

Thank you kindly.

Angel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: install but no OS after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by angelo73 View Post
    It is the first time I subscribe to a Forum. I do not know how to use it. I am trying to install ubuntu server on an hp proliant dl 120 g7 but after installing and booting it wouldn't enter to the graphical operative system. It displays an error FD0 read error or something. I've tried it with Linux Enterprise and Fedora as well but didn't succeed as well. Could you please help me or refer me to someone else who could be helpful?

Thank you kindly.

Angel
    Hi
    You are using the forum ok, just post question and wait for answers

The more info you give and the more to the point you title is, the more answers you will get

you need to post asking about the Exact error you get, just saying 'or something' does not give people here enough to work with

also what version of ubuntu server ?
    Ibod.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu server edition, by default, does not include a graphical environment when you install it.

During installation, you will have provided a user name and a password. You can then use this to login to the server's text-based interface. It is then possible to install a GUI.

Before we help you with choosing a graphical environment, it would be useful for us to know a little bit more about the specific error message you saw, so we can make sure that there isn't another problem or difficulty that needs to be addressed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Hi all

I have the same problem...
    Installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a HP DL120 G7 with a USB pen. All the installation went ok, at the last step it required to remove media and after reboot, a message appears:

Error: fd0 read error

and then a black screen with no boot. I have tried re-install the Ubuntu but the same error. Tryed "rescue a broken system" option but no luck.

I removed the server disk and connected it to a PC... it loads ok, so the OS is installed, but it won't boot attached to the server...

It seems than fd0 is the floppy, but i don't have any on the server... I tried to disabled it on the BIOS but cannot find how... I changed the boot order to HDD first and floppy last but same error...

Any help?
    Thanks
    Nuno

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sigeste View Post
    Hi all

I have the same problem...
    Installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a HP DL120 G7 with a USB pen. All the installation went ok, at the last step it required to remove media and after reboot, a message appears:

Error: fd0 read error

and then a black screen with no boot. I have tried re-install the Ubuntu but the same error. Tryed "rescue a broken system" option but no luck.

I removed the server disk and connected it to a PC... it loads ok, so the OS is installed, but it won't boot attached to the server...

It seems than fd0 is the floppy, but i don't have any on the server... I tried to disabled it on the BIOS but cannot find how... I changed the boot order to HDD first and floppy last but same error...

Any help?
    Thanks
    Nuno
    does this HP Proliant use a RAID? you might have to provide the raid drivers, thats probably what ubuntu is looking for. Then again ive never ran into the problem and i could be wrong, but it might be worth looking into.

here is something else that might help you

Sean Sheedy (sean-phonedeveloper) wrote on 2010-04-28: #5

I also observed the message "error: fd0 read error." on my intel core duo laptop. I was also able to make it go away by disabling legacy FDD emulation in the BIOS. (In my Toshiba QOSMIO BIOS, the entry is "USB-FDD Legacy Emulation". No floppy is connected.)

I confirmed that the message was being generated by grub2 by changing the message string in disk/i386/pc/biosdisk.c and observing that the message changed.

The presence of the message does not appear to delay or interfere with the presentation of the grub2 menu, which appears shortly afterward, and from which booting proceeds normally.

System: Toshiba QOSMIO G35-AV650
    Distro: Ubuntu 10.04 RC (upgraded from 9.10)
    Package: grub-pc 1.98-1ubuntu5
    uname -a: Linux localhost 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:10:02 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    *source https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/568720
    Last edited by Insomn1a; March 29th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Insomn1a View Post
    does this HP Proliant use a RAID? you might have to provide the raid drivers, thats probably what ubuntu is looking for. Then again ive never ran into the problem and i could be wrong, but it might be worth looking into.

here is something else that might help you

*source https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/568720

The server has RAID but i'm not using it, i have only one disk installed.
    I cannot boot after the error, grub menu doesn't show, only a black screen.

Thanks
    Nuno

Beans
    Distro

Boot from your install CD/DVD, go to Other options / Rescue mode and once you get there, open a shell (through any of the two debian partitions) and run:

Code: Select all
    su
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub

Note that you might not want to install grub to the main hard drive (/dev/sda), but that is mostly the best choice.

Good luck!
    *Source http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=65102
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Insomn1a View Post

I have already tried that, on the second command (update-grub) it throws me a error:

/var/lock/lvm: mkdir failed: no such file or directory
    File-based locking initialisation failed

If i grab the HDD and put it on a regular PC, it boots ok...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If the server has a raid, and you are not using it, I think you need to disable it either in the BIOS utility or the Raid utility.
    I had a similar issue with a server at work that was handed to me from the IT group, they didn't tell me they removed the raid controller card and after attempting to install the OS it just flaked out on me forcing me to open the lid and find out the hard way.

Try disabling the raid and re-install the OS.
    --== Linux! More configurable than a Mr. Potato Head ==--

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sigeste View Post
    I have already tried that, on the second command (update-grub) it throws me a error:

/var/lock/lvm: mkdir failed: no such file or directory
    File-based locking initialisation failed

If i grab the HDD and put it on a regular PC, it boots ok...

Everything I'm reading about this issue points to the BIOS still having floppy support enabled. Whenever you go into the BIOS on this server, If it is listed this way, I would look under advanced, or chipset to see if FDD is listed.

If not I would look into seeing if that hard drive is connected to a RAID backplane, if not, try and connect directly to the motherboard VIA sata and follow what Friqenstein said.
    Last edited by Insomn1a; March 30th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
    -Niels Bohr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast