Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Office 2010 on Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Installing Office 2010 on Ubuntu 11.04

I've followed many different How To guides in order to install Office 2010 on Ubuntu, but none of them have worked for me, and I get the error message:-

"Installation language not supported"

Can anyone help me get this installed once and for all please?

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing Office 2010 on Ubuntu 11.04

I do not mean to cause any offence, but why would you need to install Office on Ubuntu?

Open Office or Libre Office do everything that Office 2010 does and they can save the documents in any format compatible with Office.

The layout is not that much different either.

Just wondered if you are giving yourself unnecessary headaches?

Please do not take this the wrong way, I am merely curious.

Beans

Don't get me wrong, I loathe the Microsoft Corporation, but I'm afraid I cannot agree with the statement that Open Office and Libre Office do everything that MS Office does.

First of all, those suites do not properly handle MS formats, and there are all kinds of formatting problems that stem from opening DOCX in them, or opening files authored in Open Office in MS apps etc.

Second of all, the editing and review functionality is nowhere near as developed.

As an editor, I need to have MS Office 2010, and while up until recently I was dual-booting, that is no longer an option since a very nasty Trojan took out my last Win 7 installation and I really can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to maintain a Windows OS anymore.

Therefore, the only solution to my problem is to get MS Office 2010 working under Wine or Crossover. The plethora of walkthroughs on the subject have all sadly failed, hence my asking for help on here.

[EDIT: I love your sig btw. Am a huge fan of FZ]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Check out this thread here:

Installing MS Office 2010 in Wine

I still haven't gotten around to setting this up myself. But, it seems a lot of people are finding this method successful. I too find it difficult to work with Open Office and / or Libre Office for many tasks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

According to WineHQ reviews, the 64 bit installer is garbage, but the 32 bit version is silver.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is an interesting debate. Do you run Windows software on Windows or on Linux?

I would argue that if you want to run Office you run it under Windows.

I would also add that if you have to run MS Office under Ubuntu use MS Office 2003 as that version does work.

I have just looked at the Wine web site here http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=31

It might help - BUT if you want MS software use Windows not Linux.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BenettFreeman View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I loathe the Microsoft Corporation, but I'm afraid I cannot agree with the statement that Open Office and Libre Office do everything that MS Office does.

First of all, those suites do not properly handle MS formats, and there are all kinds of formatting problems that stem from opening DOCX in them, or opening files authored in Open Office in MS apps etc.

Second of all, the editing and review functionality is nowhere near as developed.

As an editor, I need to have MS Office 2010, and while up until recently I was dual-booting, that is no longer an option since a very nasty Trojan took out my last Win 7 installation and I really can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to maintain a Windows OS anymore.

Therefore, the only solution to my problem is to get MS Office 2010 working under Wine or Crossover. The plethora of walkthroughs on the subject have all sadly failed, hence my asking for help on here.

[EDIT: I love your sig btw. Am a huge fan of FZ]

Thanks for your explanation, I can see where you are coming from now, like I said I hope it didn't come across as rude.

I think it maybe best to give the one suggested by drmrgd above a go to start with.

I had a look around and found this:

http://https://help.ubuntu.com/commu...crosoft_Office

which leads here:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=31

which would appear to suggest that the Office 2010 64 bit edition is a bit of a no-go.

If you are using the 32 bit edition then it seems ok.

I lifted this from the last link too just in case you missed it:

I installed Office Professional Plus 2010 with 32-bit wine on 64-bit machine.

Before installation I did:
    1) wiped out my entire wine directory
    2) set default machine to Windows 7 via winecfg (when I installed Office 2010 as Windows XP, Excel did not recognize filenames longer than 8 chars)
    3) installed .NET 2.0 with "winetricks dotnet20" (otherwise the installer got error)
    I hope this is of some help to you.

On another note, I went to see Dweezil Zappa in November, performing the entire Apostrophe album, with a huge video screen behind the band on stage with Frank playing as part of the band, it was fabulous, and also meant that I could take my 18 year old son to see FZ "LIVE". Tremendous.

A truly inspirational musician, too often shunned by the mainstream because he spoke the truth and it scared them all!!!

Okay, enough of this , get on with the installation and let us know how you get along!

Good Luck

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cogier View Post
    This is an interesting debate. Do you run Windows software on Windows or on Linux?

I would also add that if you have to run MS Office under Ubuntu use MS Office 2003 as that version does work.

I have just looked at the Wine web site here http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=31

Yeah, I hate that I have to still be tethered to a few Windows things. But, Excel is definitely one of them. When the folks at Open / Libre Office can get their Excel clone working as well as Microsoft's, that will be a joyful day for me. For now, though, it just doesn't cut it, and killing my Kubuntu session and booting into Windows is a pain (and don't even get me started on virtualizing with this computer...arg!).

But, like these guys said, 2003 according to the WineHQ is better. But, the thread that I posted a link to does have an option to try 2010 to see how it works. Worth a quick try to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cogier View Post

One should not presume to know best what another's needs, intentions or desires are. In a free world one should be allowed to do things as best serves their intentions.

Wine exists for just that. It's not something I would use, but I'm not the original poster.

Our opinions are certainly valid, but should be expressed as such. "In my opinion..."
    Last edited by QIII; February 10th, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've always found it a lot easier to run Office 2010 using VirtualBox.
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast