Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attempted ubuntu install damages something, need help to get back on feet....

Beans

Re: Attempted ubuntu install damages something, need help to get back on feet....

I had to cancel my meeting to sell. I have until wed now to get this fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Attempted ubuntu install damages something, need help to get back on feet....

That's handy - how's things coming along?

Beans

Thanks for asking, but terrible. I bought some CDs, and went through trying to run chkdsk with the Ultimate Boot CD thing, and also with a win xp cd. The UBCD sucks too much (lacks the feature) and the Win xp CD recovery console fails to acknowledge my computer even has a hard drive telling me to make sure it is even plugged in!

My current goal is to run chkdsk! That's it!

Beans

****! I ran chkdsk like it said to and it didn't work? Where the **** is my data?? This whole thing has been off the wall. I did everything I was supposed to do and the software spontaneously ****** everything up. This isn't 1998, why the @%!# hasn't this **** been worked out yet?

Any ideas???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What doesn't appear clear is what the original problem was - was Win7 already unbootable hence the need to use a linux distro to recover files?

Two possible avenues come to mind now:

a. Plug the drive into another PC with a working Win OS and force chkdsk on it again from there.

b. Look into using Testdisk and Photorec.

Testdisk can find and restore previous partition schemas.

Photorec will do a partition agnostic scan of the entire disk for recoverable files ignoring any issues with partition layouts or file table corruption - make sure to set the location to recover to, to an external medium e.g. usb drive or key

Photorec comes as part of the Testdisk package and is available in the repositories.

Some initial reading:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Beans

Yes I did try testdisk as I thought that might be it, and it told me there were file system errors. A couple hours ago I got chkdsk /f to run from the xp command console. That seems to have repaired most of it although there is a "found.000" folder with about 34 megs of stuff in it it looks like I got all the important stuff back.

Thanks for the help. I very much admire the FOSS community and have donated $$ in the past but when you go to install the software in a straightforward way and it spontaneously destroys stuff without so much as a warning as to the possibility of that happening then that's pretty ridiculous. I guess I have to donate even more money so the next version is better . Oh well.

Beans

And to be fair, the original problem was an attempt to install win 7 in the first place. I tried to install win 7 and it failed to boot from that point on. There was a win 7 partition but it had never run win 7. I probably could have repaired in some way but decided to just get the data off, and do a wipe and install instead. Had some problems using ubuntu that I thought might be resolved by installing it to the hd and there I was, 2 steps back...

And they guy emailed me back just about at 12 to say he decided not to buy it. Whatever I'll probably find another buyer but it is a hassle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123