Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Java revert back?

Beans

Firefox Java revert back?

I'm a noobie and have been struggling with Ubuntu 11.1 for a couple months. Saturday Firefox updated and now I can't load the Merrill Lynch trading platform site. The site uses Java. It gets to "applet initialize" and crashes Firefox.

My strong suspicion is that the ML site is not updated enough to deal with the change Saturday. For example they do not support 64-bit Internet Explorer at all. However I suspect the last version of Firefox was 64-bit but it worked with a hang or crash a couple times a day.

Now if the last version of Firefox was 32-bit and the new one is 64-bit then that answers my question.

If I'm guessing in the correct direction would it make sense to put the older version of Java, maybe even a 32 bit version on Firefox 10 or just go back to Firefox 9.01 or whatever the last one was that we had.

I suppose I can't use the Ubuntu Software Center to revert back except to remove the current version. So where do I go for the prior version of Java or Firefox? And I assume I have to write some short code to get what I need or load some other popular Software Center that I remember reading a month or two ago that everybody likes. I would appreciate being pointed to some idiot proof step by step directions if I'm on the right path.

Beans

Re: Firefox Java revert back?

Can you go to your system info screen and copy/paste that info please. Then we can help you. Your post lacks a little info between the 32 and 64 bit.

Beans

Beans

For what it's worth I also see this firefox crash following recent firefox upgrade:

IcedTea-Web Plugin (using IcedTea-Web 1.1.1 (1.1.1-0ubuntu1~11.04.2))

File: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.soVersion:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Can you go to your system info screen and copy/paste that info please. Then we can help you. Your post lacks a little info between the 32 and 64 bit.
    I'm not able to copy paste for some reason but I can retype it.

Memory: 7.8 Gb

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 B45

Graphics: Geforce 210/PCI/SSE2 (experience standard)

Disk: 30.2 GB (that holds Ubuntu and my files are on the balance of the 320gb disk)

Default Apps

Firefox

TBird

gedit

Movie Player

Image Viewer

Here is the crash report

Add-ons: globalmenu@ubuntu.com:2.0.2,langpack...fox@ubuntu.com:1.0.2,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:10.0
    BuildID: 20120129141257
    CrashTime: 1328821059
    EMCheckCompatibility: true
    FramePoisonBase: 7ffffffff0dea000
    FramePoisonSize: 4096
    InstallTime: 1328409028
    Notes: OpenGL: NVIDIA Corporation -- GeForce 210/PCI/SSE2 -- 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13 -- texture_from_pixmap

ProductName: Firefox
    SecondsSinceLastCrash: 69141
    StartupTime: 1328814501
    Theme: classic/1.0
    Throttleable: 1
    URL: https://marketq.fs.ml.com/Launch
    Vendor: Mozilla
    Version: 10.0

Here is an error log

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    # SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f72978005ba, pid=3049, tid=140129751623424
    #
    # JRE version: 6.0_23-b23
    # Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (20.0-b11 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
    # Derivative: IcedTea6 1.11pre
    # Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10, package 6b23~pre11-0ubuntu1.11.10
    # Problematic frame:
    # V [libjvm.so+0x4175ba] frame::sender_for_compiled_frame(RegisterMap*) const+0x7a
    Last edited by Deskjockey; February 9th, 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Add more detail

Beans

Now if your 11.10 version is a 64 bit version use the post that Gremlinzzz supplied and follow the instructions for 64 bit. I use the same java and instructions that Gremlinzzz uses.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Now if your 11.10 version is a 64 bit version use the post that Gremlinzzz supplied and follow the instructions for 64 bit. I use the same java and instructions that Gremlinzzz uses.

I have been looking at that and trying to make sense of it. What I don't understand is that everything changed with the last update of Firefox on Saturday yet the Java seems the same JDK type rather than JRE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I recommend that you remove OpenJDK and the Icedtea plugin and install Oracle Java.
    Lots of stuff simply doesn't work with OpenJDK.

So, assuming you run 11.10:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
    (rember to remove OpenJDK & Icedtea... This can be done from the software centre.)

Beans

Dry Lips,

That seems to be the answer but I may not be able to try it for a while, I can't log into to my computer now. I fortunately have a spare Vista computer for such a crisis as this. The problem is I have not done a backup on Ubuntu because I don't know how nor the 10 minutes to find out how because of too many crisis in the past six months. I have all my files on a separate partition but I assume my Firefox is probably on the Ubuntu Partition so I'm going to spend the next week or two trying to figure out the password problem when time permits so that I can save all my emails if possible. When that is done or I just bite the bullet and load a new Ubuntu I'll go ahead and put in Sun.

When I first joined the forum I asked if it was a bad idea to let updates load and everybody said no problem. My history has always been the opposite, if it is working at all, even if poorly don't change anything.

Beans

Dry Lips

I have recovered from my crash and re-installed 11.10 and have most files back. I looked at the link by Gremlinzzz from the Sun site and it suggested just delete Icedtea not OpenJDK, what are the pros and cons?

I have almost zero command line skills. What directory do I do your command from / ? How do I get there from /home? I can't change directories using cd/. I suspect that I'm missing a module to effectively use the command line. The command line opens as;

xxxx@xxxx-System-Product-Name:~$xxxx@xxxx-System-Product-Name:~$

( "xxxx") my computer name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast