Thread: Help Me Build an Ubuntu Desktop Configuration

Beans

Question Help Me Build an Ubuntu Desktop Configuration

I am a freelance web developer who already has a laptop to use for multimedia, so I am buying a desktop PC to just run Netbeans on (web development environment). There is no rush, but I prefer to get all components by the end of July.

I am tech-savvy when it comes to software, but hardware is not my strong side so I turn to you - the Ubuntu experts - for tips.

Where should I start and what should the first part I look to buy be? The Motherboard? The important thing is that I don't want to end up buying parts that are incompatible (e.g. different sockets) or too much outdated. I don't want to buy a complete configuration as well, since those are unnecessarily expensive. Besides I can find some components refurbished.

Beans

Re: Help Me Build an Ubuntu Desktop Configuration

I would recommend AMD CPU, an ATI radeon graphical card (that's from amd to), and ddr3 memory (which can be an amd part)

apple computers (which are pretty good with multimedia) use an ATI/AMD radeon graphical card,
    and amd CPU's allways turned out to be a bit faster than intel.

don't buy nvidea, this reason: http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1lSCI0bO

and it's important to buy reliable parts, a samsung HDD is good quality and not so expensive.