Thread: Torrent Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Torrent Server

I current have a deluge server running on 11.10 but would like to find a better replacement. I have been researching quite a few option already but nothing beets experience. I do like the ability to use a web GUI but if it really cam down to it i could make do without it. I'm also running on pretty limited hardware so being lightweight is a big plus. I had to set it so that only one torrent would be active at a time to avoid crashing deluge if i attempted do do any other big tasks on the server. Transmission seems to be my first choice at the moment. Torrent flux was another but it requires PHP. So I'm looking for efficiency, plenty of features and having a pretty web GUI would be nice. Let me know what you think.

Beans

Re: Torrent Server

You may find this how-to interesting:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05...nt-like-a-pro/

rtorrent is definitely "lightweight."

Beans

I went rtorrent+rutorrent after messing with a LOT of different solutions (torrentflux+b4rt, deluge, transmission, utorrent, etc). and it is by FAR the best setup I've ever had.

With rtorrent you get a lot of flexibility, but there's not a lot 'built-in'. With addons like rutorrent tho, I'm missing nothing.

Beans
    Distro

I think i have narrowed it down to two now. Its either rtorrent + rutorrent or transmission. Any insight on transmission. ru torrent seems to offer more features but transmission was very easy to set up but ill probably give rtorrent a try.
    Last edited by bubylou; February 8th, 2012 at 02:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bubylou View Post
    I think i have narrowed it down to two now. Its either rtorrent + rutorrent or transmission. Any insight on transmission. ru torrent seems to offer more features but transmission was very easy to set up but ill probably give rtorrent a try.
    You hit the nail on the head.

If you want flexibility/configuration options/plugins out the wazoo go rutorrent. If you want ease of setup, go Transmission.

rtorrent is going to consume WAY less resources. It's worth the pain to setup .

Beans
    Distro

could you list some of your favorite plugins and features of rtorrent. im not completely sold on it yet but im working on installing it now. Another thing that concerns me is that rtorrent doesn't seem to be actively being developed.
    Last edited by bubylou; February 8th, 2012 at 03:38 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bubylou View Post
    could you list some of your favorite plugins and features of rtorrent. im not completely sold on it yet but im working on installing it now.
    Hrm, I think all the plugins/addons I use are from rutorrent. Let me see...

EraseData - right click option for remove AND delete data
    Create - create torrents
    Traffic - see traffic stats
    RSS - RSS feed built into rutorrent
    Edit - edit trackers
    Throttle - change individual torrent groups to get individual throttle settings...
    Scheduler - set times of day/throttle plans
    AutoTools - looks awesome, haven't set it up yet...
    GeoIP - c'mon that's just fun
    Ratio - for setting ratio groups!
    Show Peers like wTorrent - took me a while to figure this one out, but I didn't like how peers were shown by default...
    SeedingTime - self-explanatory
    DiskSpace - this one too
    Unpack - another cool one I just found looking thru the list!
    CPU Load - shows load of the server in rutorrent semi-real-time.
    Extsearch - adds search functionality within rutorrent

And believe it or not that's not all of 'em. Don't be fooled either, this doesn't mean that rutorrent doesn't include a lot of features - these were just 'missing' and were added with plugins by the community .

Honestly as far as why I use rtorrent after trying the rest - it simply works pretty much flawlessly once it's setup correctly. It was quite a pain to get it flawless, but once I did... WAY better than ANY other solution out there. I'm just really picky is what it boils down to, and I like having options. Lots of options . Transmission was just too... simple. It was pretty/elegant, but not functional. torrentflux/+b4rt never worked right, and spawned processes like crazy. It was a mess/hodgepodge.

rtorrent+rutorrent is very slick, once you get over the pain of installing and setting it up .
    Last edited by arrrghhh; February 8th, 2012 at 03:43 AM.