Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An error occured: Permission denied

Beans

An error occured: Permission denied

When I try to instal Ubuntu 10.10 from the CD directly from my windows XP OS, I get this error:

An error occured:

Permission denied

Fore more info, check the file...................... .log

So, I check the file, but don't quite know what to look at, so here it is:

http://pastebin.com/zVW2JFCS

Also, if I try to boot directly from the CD I get this error:

(process:316): GLib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: An error occured: Permission denied

Quote Originally Posted by pzykotik View Post
    When I try to instal Ubuntu 10.10 from the CD directly from my windows XP OS, I get this error:

An error occured:

Permission denied

Fore more info, check the file...................... .log

So, I check the file, but don't quite know what to look at, so here it is:

http://pastebin.com/zVW2JFCS

Also, if I try to boot directly from the CD I get this error:

(process:316): GLib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
    Does the livecd boot ok. If so I would try out ubuntu using that. Wubi was created as another way to explore ubuntu. If your machine can boot from usb a live usb stick install would be a better alternative to try out ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Does the livecd boot ok. If so I would try out ubuntu using that. Wubi was created as another way to explore ubuntu. If your machine can boot from usb a live usb stick install would be a better alternative to try out ubuntu.

I just can't boot from anywhere, but I will try a USB stick. I'll write again after I tried.

Beans

I just can't boot from anywhere, but I will try a USB stick. I'll write again after I tried.
    I tried using the usb creator from the CD, I got this error:

An uncaught exception was raised:
    [Errno 13] Permission denied

I'd like to point out that I'm using XP, so there's no need to "run as admin".

What are my options?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you are trying to install using wubi then try to download the Ubuntu iso and place it in the same directory as the wubi.exe installer. I read some other post where there was a user having a permission denied error and it was fixed by downloading the wubi installer and the ubuntu iso then placing them both in the same directory.

Here is a link to the post I was referring to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1144599

If you are trying to create a live usb stick try using unetbootin. Ive used it for several linux distros including ubuntu and it has worked great every time!
    Last edited by Rafterman414; February 6th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rafterman414 View Post
    If you are trying to install using wubi then try to download the Ubuntu iso and place it in the same directory as the wubi.exe installer. I read some other post where there was a user having a permission denied error and it was fixed by downloading the wubi installer and the ubuntu iso then placing them both in the same directory.

Here is a link to the post I was referring to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1144599

If you are trying to create a live usb stick try using unetbootin. Ive used it for several linux distros including ubuntu and it has worked great every time!
    I will first try downloading the ISO, but this is 11.10, my CD is 10.10. If it doesn't work, I will try unetbootin, which I don't know how to use, but Google is my friend I guess.

EDIT: downloaded, installed. I got the reboot invite. Will reboot, and report if it's a success.
    Last edited by pzykotik; February 6th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.

Beans

Once booted up, this screen appears.

Yeah. The square is the cursor.

Beans

Once booted up, this screen appears.

Yeah. The square is the cursor.
    That was with the downloaded ISO and wubi. I will now try unetbootin... feedback in a few.

Beans

That was with the downloaded ISO and wubi. I will now try unetbootin... feedback in a few.
    That didn't work either. I'll try downloading another version ISO, and wubi, again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That looks like a graphics card issue (nvidia or radeon). Try booting with nomodeset: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast