Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Kubuntu really this bad?

Beans

Re: Is Kubuntu really this bad?

Seems quite dependable on hardware....

I hae been using KDE for two years in different systems - one including a super old laptop with low-fat settings. The experience has been decent.

Yes, I do end up tweaking and moving so many thinks that I end up breaking something. But in general, the systems have been steady enough to keep me happy. I must say I find KDE 4.8 snappier, but less stable than 4.7.

I installed Kubuntu in a friend's computer last week. All the hardware was well-supported and I saw I today saw how fast and responsive the system is in his (quite old) laptop. I must say I'm jealous.

Do you guys think a fresh install might speed-up the system? I have been upgraing for years with no particular problems... maybe it's time to go for the LTS with a fresh install?

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So I just spent the last 7 hours trying to get either Kubuntu 11.10 or 12.04 to work. (That's on top of the last few weeks I've spent doing the same thing.)

Because 11.10 with kernel 3.2 and KDE 4.8.0 gave me the best results before, and because people mentioned some positive results with 12.04 alpha 2 (which has both kernel 3.2 and KDE 4.8), I decided to give it a try. 12.04 can't be any worse than 11.10 because 11.10 is too buggy to use at all. So nothing can be worse than something that just won't work.

Here are some of the additional issues I've run into:

• display settings (monitor resolutions, etc.) won't persist across restarts. I tried running systemsettings as root and saving my settings as defaults, but that didn't resolve the issue. This is with the foss driver. This same issue exists in 11.10 and prior versions, so this is not related to 12.04 being alpha.
    • proprietary ATI driver is really buggy; I used it before, so I didn't go back there tonight. This problem also exists in 11.10.
    • KDE Activity Manager crashes on log in sometimes (not every time).
    • KDE won't log out. When I try to log out I get stuck at a black screen. This problem also exists in 11.10.
    • Muon package manager still doesn't work in 12.04. This problem also exists in 11.10.
    • Kubuntu graphical installer doesn't work in 12.04 - can only install via alternate CD. At least the installer for 11.10 works.
    • In general Plasma Activities appear buggy. It's hard for me to say because I'm new to Plasma, but as I was following some tutorials nothing was really working as expected. Many GUI elements would open blank. I saw this with the widget bar, with the search plugs list, etc. I had similar problems in 11.10, so this probably isn't unique to 12.04.

All of that is without flash installed or any proprietary drivers or any support for DVD playback or anything else that is typically problematic. I expect the problems would get much worse once I really started customizing the system so it will play DVDs, flash videos, etc.

This sucks because I really want to use KDE. But I've exhausted all my options after trying so many different versions of several different distros. I already decided Unity isn't for me. Gnome 3 is going in the same unergonomical direction as Unity, so I don't want to go there either. I also don't want to use one of the lesser used DE's because I need a well-supported mainstream environment. I'm beginning to think I don't have any good Linux desktop options any more. :confused:
    Last edited by MountainX; February 6th, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

it could be that your issue is related with ATI proprietary driver. what happens if oyu use opensource drivers?

mint now also has KDE version again. maybe you can find something there (some issues fixed etc.).

i am still on 10.10 waiting for LTS so they fix the most important issues present in 11.10. like for example Muon it's very new and seems to be buggy. why not use synaptics or kpackagekit instead?

i do have some issue with KDE but it is not crashing.

my issues are related to my motherboard (sound chip).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    it could be that your issue is related with ATI proprietary driver. what happens if oyu use opensource drivers?
    I explained that above.

mint now also has KDE version again. maybe you can find something there (some issues fixed etc.).
    I already looked at tit. They didn't fix any issues. They only made the changes I don't like such as to the default search engine and home page, etc. So Mint KDE is not a good option.

i am still on 10.10 waiting for LTS .
    I was actually trying to do the same thing. I liked 10.10. Unfortunately I ran into a problem with it and Caononical support suggested I upgrade. That upgrade was the start of the real problems, however.

I personally think Linux on the desktop is in a crisis -- at least that's how it feels to me. It appears none of the major desktops are ready for prime time.

If any KDE devs could get me a working setup, I would pay them to do it.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

you can try xubuntu , i've installed it in 3 systems and it's really stable than any buntu and you can get some eyecandy by enabling compositing and transparency in it.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123