Thread: complile from source help

Beans

Post complile from source help

Hello guys need some help here..

Well, I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and found that it's very interesting. I try to install a Sinhalese Language typing software but it's web site says there is a bug with 11.04 version which they fixed and they provided another page to show how to do it. The problem is they asked me to download and compile from source which I've never heard of. So can you guys specify what are the essential steps to follow. It's okay if you're listing only the steps without how to do it,I can Google and find out. Thank you.

Here I'm providing the software website and the bug-fixed site

soft
    bug-fix
    Last edited by oldos2er; February 5th, 2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: changed to default font

Beans

Beans

Re: complile from source help

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Can you explain what is actually need to be done,I mean why do we need to compile it.?

Beans

I tried to follow those steps but after step 3.. it doenst give the output expected.. eg: when i type and enter 'make' it gives me some error msg.. can someone analyses the given software and tell me what to do.. thanks...

Beans

It would be easier if you'd just post the error message you get from make. It's not really possible to tell just from the source code what might be wrong on your specific installation. You might be missing a -devel package that I have already, for instance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Packaging and Compiling Programs.