Thread: NO GRUB!! Win7 SP1 + Win7 + Ubuntu 10.11

Beans

Angry NO GRUB!! Win7 SP1 + Win7 + Ubuntu 10.11

I need help!! I have tried everything to solve it, but nothing works!!

I want to setup a system with 2x Win7 and 1x Ubuntu 10.11, all x64.
    I have one HD with 5 partitions:

sda:

sda1 - 100 MB - PRIMARY - reserved for Windows Boot, created by Windows
    sda2 - 120 GB - PRIMARY - Windows 7 SP1
    sda3 - 120 GB - PRIMARY - Windows 7 w/o SP1
    sda4 - EXTENDED
    ~ sda5 - 025 GB - LOGICAL - Ubuntu 10.11
    ~ sda6 - 006 GB - LOGICAL - Swap
    ~ sda7 - 100 GB - LOGICAL - /Home

What I did was:
    1. Installed Win7 on sda3
    2. Installed Win7 on sda2
    3. Installed Ubuntu 10.11 on sda5

I've installed GRUB2 on sda2.
    When I boot there is no GRUB, only the Windows Boot Manager.

I've tried Rescatux-CD and Super Grub2 Disk. Rescatux doesn't start - all I get is the unetbootin menu. No matter what I select, there is a black screen for a sec and then I get back to the unetbootin menu.

Super Grub2 Disk starts, but when I select the option to reinstall GRUB (no matter if AUTO or MANUELLY) I get the prompt: "selectfile /grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage1". I can imagine that means that I have to select wether I use a Linux boot partition or not, the problem is: I can't select anything, I can't type anything, in fact theres nothing I can do but reboot.

So I've reinstalled Ubuntu, this time selecting sda1 for GRUB. And in fact there was GRUB after booting with one(!) "Windows (Loader)" at the end. Choosing this option: black screen and back to GRUB. Seems logical because sda1 is the Windows boot partition and by installing GRUB there, it overwrote the Windows loader.

So I recovered MBA and root with the Windows Install CD and got the Windows Boot Manager back. Obviously GRUB was gone, so I re-re-installed Ubuntu after deleting all partitions except sda1-3 for windows and creating sda3-7, whith GRUB on sda2. Again: Windows Boot Loader, NO GRUB!!

I need 2x Windows, one with SP1 for Adobe, and one without SP1 for MS Robotics. And of course I want to use Ubuntu for the rest.

I am tired.

I am frustrated.

I don't know what to do anymore.

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: NO GRUB!! Win7 SP1 + Win7 + Ubuntu 10.11

Grub2 is not meant to be installed ON A PARTITION. By selecting sda5, sda1, etc, you are selecting the partitions, not the MBR of the disk.

The MBR of the disk is /dev/sda, without any number.

That's where you should install grub2.

Since you already have ubuntu installed, you don't need to do another install. But you might need to repair windows boot files if you still have grub installed on sds1. Windows doesn't like grub installed on its partition.

So, first repair any windows boot files that might be missing. Check if the computer boots fine giving you the windows bootloader with both options for your two win7 installs. Don't worry about ubuntu at this moment.

After you get win7 boot sorted out, and if your ubuntu root partition is still sda5, just boot with the ubuntu cd in live mode and in terminal do:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    Note that in the mount command you use sda5 to mount the partition, but in the grub-install you use /dev/sda as the destination to install, the MBR.

That's it.

And for the future, you usually don't need any more tools except your ubuntu cd. Super Grub Disk can complicate things more, depending on your setup.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Smile Re: NO GRUB!! Win7 SP1 + Win7 + Ubuntu 10.11

Thank you for the fast answer. Will do as you suggested and post the results later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: NO GRUB!! Win7 SP1 + Win7 + Ubuntu 10.11

If you want grub to have menu items for both Windows you have to install Windows separately. It normally moves the boot files from the first install to the second. Then in Windows you choose which Windows to boot. But since second install has no boot files grub cannot boot it directly. You may not have to reinstall, but move boot flag and repair each separately to make it bootable.

To get each MS to have its own boot loader make a second primary partition and set its boot flag on, then install the 2nd product in it. Multibooters, Pictures here worth 1000+ words
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
    A user who installed two windows & it worked to boot from grub directly
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1271600
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.