Thread: Mount Union for unified hard drives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mount Union for unified hard drives?

I plan on installing a new hard drive in an Ubuntu server (Lucid) tomorrow and have heard about "mount unions". I really can't find a great deal of info about it online relating to Ubuntu though.

Basically I don't want the hassle of having to divert data to separate hard drives and would like them to "appear" and "function" as one mashed up hard drive.

I can't take the LVM route as I don't have time on my side and the existing server has been functioning properly for a couple of years now.

Are "mount unions" the right way to go? Can they be applied to existing systems without the need for creating new paritions etc? I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mount Union for unified hard drives?

LVM would be my first choice.

Why are you adding the drive?

What is your current partition scheme?

Do you know where future data will reside (/home, /var or other)?
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks volkswagner.

I'm adding the new drive for additional disk space. We are running out.

There isn't a partition scheme. There is one primary partition on the existing HDD and its EXT4 (AFAIK).

Current and future data that is taking up the most space is most likely under /srv. I know thats transferable and would allow for a better structured install but I won't have enough time unfortunately.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
    I plan on installing a new hard drive in an Ubuntu server (Lucid) tomorrow and have heard about "mount unions". I really can't find a great deal of info about it online relating to Ubuntu though.

Basically I don't want the hassle of having to divert data to separate hard drives and would like them to "appear" and "function" as one mashed up hard drive.

I can't take the LVM route as I don't have time on my side and the existing server has been functioning properly for a couple of years now.

Are "mount unions" the right way to go? Can they be applied to existing systems without the need for creating new paritions etc? I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Cheers!
    Union Mounts are not applicable here. They have more to do with file system hierarchy rather than combining 2 hard drives to provide 1 contiguous formatted file system space. See here for information on Union Mounts. If you do not want to create a LVM space then the best you can do is to format the new disk (or partitions of the disk) and mount it (them) at some specific mount point such as: /srv/some_mount_point and/or /srv/2nd_mount_point

You can always mount a partition on any directory you choose. Remember to have no data in the directory or it will be hidden form the users.