Thread: Cannot Unlock From Lock Screen

Beans

Cannot Unlock From Lock Screen

I have added the following line to /etc/pam.d/common-auth
    auth required pam_tally.so onerr=fail deny=3 unlock_time=99999

Once the screen locks you cannot unlock it. If i comment out the line in the common-auth file, the unlock works just fine. I need the line to deny the login attempts to 3 so this is kind of an issue for me.

If i change it to
    auth required pam_tally.so onerr=succeeds deny=3 unlock_time=99999

The unlock works fine. I'm not sure what is causing the error with the deny=fail. How can debug this so i can look through the logs.

This is what i'm seeing in the auth.log file.
    Feb 2 09:05:54 UbuntuTest gnome-screensaver-dialog: pam_tally(gnome-screensaver:auth): Error opening /var/log/faillog for update
    Feb 2 09:05:57 UbuntuTest gnome-keyring-daemon[1165]: couldn't initialize slot with master password: The password or PIN is incorrect
    Feb 2 09:05:57 UbuntuTest gnome-screensaver-dialog: gkr-pam: unlocked login keyring
    Feb 2 09:05:59 UbuntuTest gnome-screensaver-dialog: pam_tally(gnome-screensaver:auth): Error opening /var/log/faillog for update

If i mess with teh /var/log/faillog file it completely locks out logins from lock screen or the switch user interface.

Shawn
    Last edited by aceofalltrades; February 2nd, 2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Uopdated with more info