Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post

I find it massively frustrating that so few people want to contribute.
    In my case I would love to, but I would need to spend regular time doing it for being useful, and I don't have taht time for the moment.

Your contributions have been very, very useful, especially in an area like PPC where there are not so many contributors, and that many people tink is a dead area. It isn't, and it should be more supported.
    Desktop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, with Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti graphics; Laptop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz

Beans

Would love to but I am not an expert... Some feedback managed successfully to instal ubuntu 12.04 on my old Power Macintosh G4 (AGP Graphics) and no problem with the ADC cinema display 17" (acrylic), HP printer, WD ethernet hard drive, wireless mouse and keyboard. It is faster than OS 10.4.11 I believe! Still have to check the scanner and DVD burner... All the best!

Beans

@rsavage:

Just reporting over on this thread, you may have seen my post on MintPPC and here in the sound threads . . . but I'm posting here as part of the testing process. Running Xubuntu using LXDE 12.0.4 in dual boot next to OSX on an iMac 800, recompiled nv driver, str8bs' xorg.conf file, things were going well . . . system seemed robust and impervious to breaking after updates as other distros had done, I was happy to finally have a linux based system running the iMac and looking forward to many happy days. Friday, ran "sudo aptitude update/upgrade" and on restart things were fine no problems; Sunday tried to boot into Xu/Lu and had a series of problems (details in the sound or "suspend freezes imac" thread . . . leading to kernel panics, tried 5 times to restart . . . then on reboot into OSX had another panic attack. I'm not sure how to do "rescue" or what that would do to revive the system, if I could get some pointers I'm willing to try to fix whatever might be the problem . . . . But, fairly technical installation process, and then in about a month . . . somethings again busted, this being the 5th or 6th installation of something linux on the iMac . . . an element of frustration and negative thinking has entered . . . . Is this one save-able or time to move on?? Don't know . . . nobody has replied to either of my accident report posts . . . with any comments or insights into fixing it . . . . : - ))))

<end of testing report, phase one tests 12.0.4--iMac 800 PPC>

e.e.p.

Beans

Been running Lubuntu 12.04.1 LTS on a Mac Mini G4 since June 2012 and have only had to reboot for the occasional updating routine. This machine is my library's ILS server and Lubuntu has made the whole process a lot easier than using two computers when getting everything setup.

I now plan on putting 12.04 on my PowerBook G4 so I have something to play with at home.

Thanks so much Lubuntu team for an awesome job!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPup View Post
    Been running Lubuntu 12.04.1 LTS on a Mac Mini G4 since June 2012 and have only had to reboot for the occasional updating routine. This machine is my library's ILS server and Lubuntu has made the whole process a lot easier than using two computers when getting everything setup.

I now plan on putting 12.04 on my PowerBook G4 so I have something to play with at home.

Thanks so much Lubuntu team for an awesome job!
    If you'd like to help out (And we are REALLY short of testers) please head over to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Test...tting_Involved and get signed up to the testing team.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Quite busy with college lately, but will do ASAP.

Beans

@rsavage, et al:

For those still interested in hearing how the iMac 800 saga is doing . . . I just the other day was able to spend a few minutes in the Xu/Lu system, but after a few minutes the screen just froze--nothing moved--so had to shut down. Problem seems to be traced to firewire port and possibly USB port as causing KPs, still no time to take it apart and see if a good cleaning would solve the problem or if I need to install new motherboard or it looks like the HD has some "sector" problems . . . I'd like to keep it going, but it might be difficult to get parts???

Anyway, following up on testing reports on Lubuntu 12.04 for PPC, this AM I tried to run the LiveDVD on my iBook G4 933MHz. The disc was originally burned on 3/12/12 that I used to test it out on my iMac as per request from ojordan on mintppc forum . . . posted previously. In trying out numerous Debian systems on the iBook before just about everything has been able to boot and run, whereas on the iMac almost nothing did. Today, Lu 1204 booted OK, I just used "live" and after a few minutes got to the "crash report" error window that seems to be a bug; launched FireFox, ran a Google search for "gmail" but then in the resulting list, the cursor would change to the pointing finger over the selected link, but clicking on it . . . did nothing. At that point, the fan was running noisily and clicking on anything would do nothing as well--tried to close FF, couldn't; tried to get the restart button to show up . . . and then at one point I got what I had in a Kubuntu Live DVD, where the cursor started acting erratically rather than smoothly moving around . . . . I hit the Kill button to exit the system . . . . So, I read through the PPC wiki for 12.04 and saw something about "radeon has problems in the DVD that are solved on installation" . . . and the various radeon KMS suggestions--but not too much else. Still running the straight Wheezy system in a 6GB partition and that works "OK" since the latest xulrunner upgrade--don't have the time to go for the Lu install and then mess with it right now--as I said traditionally the iBook has handled the LiveDVD's right outa the box--don't know if it needs an xorg.conf file to get it to work--or, if a newer burn of Lu 12.04 would work better? At some point if I can't revive the iMac I would try to run Lu on the iBook, but I'd like it to be a simple install rather than lots of boot parameters, etc. Any thoughts on how to get it going appreciated . . . .

That's my test on iBook G4 2 USB port 656??MB RAM 933MHz

e.e.p.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    The disc was originally burned on 3/12/12
    Presumably that is an American date, and what you meant to write was 12/3/12 (or the 12th of March). In other words a massively out of date CD and not the one that was released.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Presumably that is an American date, and what you meant to write was 12/3/12 (or the 12th of March). In other words a massively out of date CD and not the one that was released.
    mr. savage:

Thanks for the fast reply . . . yes, a 'Merican date . . . but a day later or younger, the 13th of March, was around the time that you, or your screen alter ego, posted a request on mintppc for testers--which I did, and eventually it was made to work on the iMac shortly before it became fatally ill . . . .

But, I don't understand your sentence ending with " . . . and not the one that was released"???? "the one"?? "that was released."???? released when might be where that was going?? . . . this is a 12.0.4 LiveDVD that I used this AM, I'm under the impression that 12.04 is LTS . . . unfortunately I don't have time to read through all the threads, but it seems like you are suggesting that there would be an updated 12.0.4 LTS .iso available for PPC????? and perhaps the issues would be ironed out of it???

e.e.p.

Beans

@rsavage:

Alrighty, thanks to your comments I did make my way to a Live DVD Lu 12.0.4 today and burned it--and booted it in the iBook, and I'm typing this in the Live system--so, that's more in line with most systems booting up on the iBook . . . . Only point worth noting is the CLI boot window showed "Built on 20120423" . . . which seems like it would only be a month after my "out of date" Beta version . . . ???? Is that "massively out of date" or what? : - )))) Anyway, it's working, perhaps at some point I'll try to install it if the Wheezy system starts getting unstable or fills the 6 GB so much that I can't update it anymore . . . .

e.e.p.

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast