Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

nm_geo, you guys are doing great work over at lubuntu-qa which all the derivatives benefit from. I've also pointed the FAQ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H...erPC_Ubuntu.3F in your direction so hopefully you will get some more volunteers.

Since I have no intention of installing 12.10 (I'm planning on sticking with 12.04 until my computer gives in.....and if I'm still using it at the end of the LTS 5 years then my life sucks!), others are going to have to take over maintaining the PowerPC documentation.

I find it massively frustrating that so few people want to contribute. For me the joy of using Linux is the community feel of it - getting involved and feeling part of something. Knowing that your own involvement has improved Linux, albeit in probably a very very small way. But, those little improvements add up. If you don't get involved and help out in some way then I don't understand what you get out of Linux - probably just frustration when something doesn't work.

Beans

Has anyone got the DVI connection to work? I'm still having to use VGA and that is quite rubbish. Mac mini running Ubuntu 12.04 on the big screen would be ideal. May have to drop back to OS X 10.5 if this can't be done.

Beans

hey i would be willing to try stuff on my powerpc imac g3 i cant really use it for much in all honesty and i am trying to learn more about the coding and infrastructure of ubuntu

also to rsavage i am the one who had a problem with the r128 framebuffer issue last december so if you remember it that is the computer i am using

Beans

I was away a long time (to gain a living doing outdoor - so no computer nothing . . .) but now, there is an "avalanche" of updates. And i notice, i'm still having the same problem when it comes to kernel updates like i published here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1918246&page=6

Is this only *MY* problem or are other encountering the same.

TIA for any help!
    Last edited by Farinet; September 14th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hmm... I just sold my PowerMac G5 literally 2 days ago I would have been more then happy to help I had successfully gotten a few distro's to install on it just kind of lost interest in it after awhile though I had a PowerPC 1.8 Ghz DP w/ 3GiB's of Ram Nvidia Geforce 5200 FX card I really just didn't have time to configure it anymore I had Debian on it with Tiger got uhm 90$ bucks for it lol I do have an older B&W G3 but it's in pieces I might put it back together I was gonna use the case for an mAtx board and never quite finished but i still have the whole mac it's literally just in pieces
    Last edited by Epodx64; September 11th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Epodx64 View Post
    ...I do have an older B&W G3 but it's in pieces I might put it back together I was gonna use the case for an mAtx board and never quite finished but i still have the whole mac it's literally just in pieces
    Oh, do asseble it and get get testing! It is fun bringing life back into these old things, and in my case the G4 iBook has proved ususefull too. You will get to know ubuntu (lubuntu flavor really I suppose) better, and it will help smooth out ppc linux issues. Beta 2 is just around the corner, and you are needed

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 2blue View Post
    Oh, do asseble it and get get testing! It is fun bringing life back into these old things, and in my case the G4 iBook has proved ususefull too. You will get to know ubuntu (lubuntu flavor really I suppose) better, and it will help smooth out ppc linux issues. Beta 2 is just around the corner, and you are needed
    I'm working on getting the B&W Back together I'm not really sure what I did to this thing when I was taking it a part lol, but I'm working on getting a DP G4 or a G4 iBook as well (trading an older but newer then the G4 x86 system for it either a Emachines T3895 or an HP Pavilion a700n might trade both if the deals right don't really need these ) I had quite a bit of success with my G5 when I had it last install I had on it was Debian 6.0 but I had Ubuntu 12.04 on it as well plus I tried a few other distros on it the biggest problem I had with it was the Nvidia Card always & I mean always detected some phantom T.V. out

Beans
    Distro

Alright, looks like I got a PowerMac G4 coming tomorrow so ill contribute on here once I get it specs are
    Apple Power Macintosh G4 867 (Quicksilver) Specs

The Apple Power Macintosh G4/867 (Quicksilver) features

867 MHz PowerPC 7450 (G4) processor with the
    AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit,
    256k "on chip" level 2 cache, and
    2 MB of level 3 backside cache.

It shipped configured with 128 MB of RAM,
    60 GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drive,
    2X DVD-R/CD-RW "SuperDrive",
    4X AGP NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX graphics card with 32 MB of SDRAM.
    AirPort (802.11b)
    Apple keyboard

not quite the old G5 I had but will work for this purpose my G5 specs where Power PC 1.8 Ghz Dual-Processors 3GiB DDR Ram 80Gb+160Gb total 240Gb Sata HDD's AGPx8 Nvidia GeForce 5200 FX Card

I think I have a Gig of Apple PC-100 & DDR ram laying round to so I'll upgrade that 128mb soon as I get it.

Beans

Sounds great Epodx64, all is set up to do a good job with ppc testing! I am sitting here with the daily iso making a new attempt at installing on the G4 and rereading rsavage`s advice.

Beans
    Distro

Well I am offical among the PPC testers I acquired An Apple PowerPC G4 "AGP/Gigabyte Ethernet" 400Mhz Processor 2GiB's of SDRam 80Gb harddrive and I've already wiped Mac OS X 10.0.4 off it and have after quite a bit of trial and error not to mention having to manually configure the xorg.conf fun stuff however I now official have the Apple PowerPC G4 fully dedicated to Lubuntu 12.04 PPC now. This was single handled one of the most complex installations I've done yaboot was refusing to load the agy128fb module so I had to manually set it up with a custom Xorg.conf and blacklist for some reason the agyfb module (I have the AGPx2 ATI Rage 128 Pro onboard) I honestly took me roughly 5 hours to get it from boot to running stable after I got it installed I had all kinds of Monitor detection problems booting into 640x400 pretty much unexceptionable even though its only a 15 Sony LCD w/ a max resolution of 1024x768 but I managed to get that solved with a custom yaboot script but honestly it was a refreshing challenge and quite enjoyed struggling through the PPC land. And now to top it all off I got a 20" iMAC G5 2.1Ghz 2.5Gb of DDR2 533 Ram PCIE Nvidia card 250Gb SATA HDD so I'm looking forward to installing Ubuntu 12.04 PPC64 bit on that one in the next couple of days. and the last thing I've resurrected my Apple PowerPC G3 350Mhz 1GiB SDRam 40Gb HDD but that projects going towards Debian w/ iceWM just to maximize the last of it's potential. well thats it for now glad to be part of the PPC tester's now.

Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast