Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    eep, good to hear you fixed it!
    rs:

Thanks for the post back. Yeah, I'm glad to have the use of it again; still, since I posted there remains some "issues" on both partitions. I'm planning to do a re-install of your 12.04 system, I had done my own retro nv driver install . . . but there's still a problem with "suspend" so when I get a free moment I'm going to your version of Xubuntu and see if that makes any difference . . . I've got the full 1GB RAM now so it should have a btter chance to do "suspend" . . . .

e.e.p.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

I don't know whether you can get suspend working on nvidia computers... have a look at the section in the FAQ. Have you ever had it working on your iMac?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    rs:

Thanks for the post back. Yeah, I'm glad to have the use of it again; still, since I posted there remains some "issues" on both partitions. I'm planning to do a re-install of your 12.04 system, I had done my own retro nv driver install . . . but there's still a problem with "suspend" so when I get a free moment I'm going to your version of Xubuntu and see if that makes any difference . . . I've got the full 1GB RAM now so it should have a btter chance to do "suspend" . . . .

e.e.p.
    good to see you back with a upgraded mac

i have used the live USB for Lubuntu 12.04 and 13.04 and for me suspend works (with usb 1.1 take some time to load but this is one way to test ) only do " dd " then you can testing , no defekt/burning DVD/CD etc

but i use now Lubuntu 13.04 persistent (and this is the best , its easy to test and change things like yaboot and install program etc and its still there after a reboot )

but this need some more steps to get on a usb/hd/firewire

its moore to say butt .....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I don't know whether you can get suspend working on nvidia computers... have a look at the section in the FAQ. Have you ever had it working on your iMac?
    @rsavage:

Alrighty, thanks for the follow-up, good question on the nvidia . . . it's been so long since anything has been working that I can't remember . . . . I was thinking that ****maybe**** one of the mintppc versions had suspend, but even that is a question mark, since the computer started crashing around that time. Using your CD does provide Suspend on my iBook . . . which has around 6xxMB of RAM . . . but w/o checking I think it isn't the nvidia card . . . . Since there are now other issues cropping up on the iMac I'm not instantly going to make any Linux changes just yet; now the only time there are KPs is when waking from OSX sleep, and after that the computer seems to run fine.

@abtabt:

Thanks also for your post, I was going to check with you since I know we have about the same machine, I think I did test the 13.04 when Philw posted something about it . . . but . . . I like the LTS aspect of 12.04 rather than needing to change the system every year or whatever. In the iBook the 12.04 has been fine and handles the upgrades without imploding on itself as we remember other versions having done . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

@rsavage:

Tried a search of the forum for any sign of the next incarnation of 'buntu for LTS in PPC, but nothing seemed to be relevant.
    So, that is the question, will the next LTS version be ported to a PPC friendly system? I don't know if I'd bother to try to get it running on my iMac . . . unless an nv driver is available . . . . But for the iBook with a radeon card it seems to be easier to get it going without too much consternation . . . . Would that be a Lubuntu or Xu version and is that slated for July '14?

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    @rsavage:

Tried a search of the forum for any sign of the next incarnation of 'buntu for LTS in PPC, but nothing seemed to be relevant.
    So, that is the question, will the next LTS version be ported to a PPC friendly system? I don't know if I'd bother to try to get it running on my iMac . . . unless an nv driver is available . . . . But for the iBook with a radeon card it seems to be easier to get it going without too much consternation . . . . Would that be a Lubuntu or Xu version and is that slated for July '14?

e.e.p.
    Hi, 14.04 will be PPC and will be LTS provided it is tested

Head over to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing for details on testing lubuntu and a link to the PPC area.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    Hi, 14.04 will be PPC and will be LTS provided it is tested

Head over to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing for details on testing lubuntu and a link to the PPC area.

Regards,

Phill.
    @Philw:

Thanks for the fast reply . . . I will endeavor to check it out, although I recall from the 13. 04 or .1 testing that it is a tad "involved" for those of us running on hyperdrive time wise . . . . But, I can definitely try to download/burn the .iso and test it out for ease of boot up/run on both my iMac & iBook in the coming weeks. Is there a "Testers wanted for 14.04 LTS PPC" thread going?

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro

This thread seems to have always been used as a rallying call for troops ever since we took on the mantle of PPC at lubuntu It has some good discussions that (new) people can review to get a better feel and linkage to other areas for FAQ's. I'm subscribed to this thread, so get a poke in my email in-box each time there is a new posting

Regards,

Phill.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

@ phil

Thanks for the info. I had posted the same question as eep to the lubuntu-qa mailing list, but it seemed to have got gobbled by some spam filter. I also wanted to advertise my sound thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209340 to the lubuntu-qa testers.

Do you still have the ear of Colin Watson? We need some patches going in for sound, but I'm loathed to make the effort and write them if they are just going to sit there and be unused. They involve the debian-installer, casper and linux kernel packages. The kernel one is the very important one, otherwise a certain section of users will have to mess around compiling kernel modules to get their sound working. But, that also involves users testing 14.04!

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

I no longer have any contact with the release team what so ever. jsalsbury from the kernel team came across as a helpful soul when I last had an issue that needed the involvement of the kernel team. He may offer you advice / sponsorship to have said bugs addressed.

Regards,

Phill.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast