Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

If you want a nice splash screen and you can't get plymouth to work then you can still use usplash:

http://ubuntuone.com/55Cr6Y1imGrGmF1eRy5l5Q

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    @STovarisch:
    You should probably download a "desktop" CD/DVD so that you could test it before installing, it looks like Lubuntu 12.04 for PPC would be the choice, if the Xubun 12.04 is only available as mini.iso. You could always add the XFCE DE later on . . . .
    e.e.p.
    woodoste
    Hi, where I can download this fixed ISO? All links arounds various posts are dead...
    Cheers
    @woodoste:

Yes, that's the way it is around here . . . looks like you are SOL on the special Xubun .iso, so as Imentioned in post #288? best to pick either Lubun 12.04 for PPC if you want LTS . . . and then use the links to the various packages that rsavage is posting to put together a customized package, etc.

e.e.p.

Beans

@str8bs: Homes, I already posted that link and same advice to Svetlana in post number 279 . . . . You're late dude, where you been at? : - )
    e.e.p.
    Life duties outside of Linux. Hey Mongo. More read. Less type.

@rsavage - lots to play with. Thanks. Can't put my finger on why, but Mate has never been my cup of tea either.

Quote Originally Posted by woodoste
    Hi, where I can download this fixed ISO? All links arounds various posts are dead...
    This thread iMac G4 or this thread iMac G3 will net you about the same result I believe.
    Last edited by str8bs; April 2nd, 2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: add second. Don't know his hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by woodoste View Post

Cheers
    I hold a mirror for most of the *buntu family at http://phillw.net/isos/ which is usually a faster link than the 'main' ubuntu server

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    I hold a mirror for most of the *buntu family at http://phillw.net/isos/ which is usually a faster link than the 'main' ubuntu server

Regards,

Phill.
    @philw:

Thanks for sharing that link, it is nice to see all the editions of the flavors listed in one place . . . I would say more, but people are complaining . . . . : - ) Oh yeah, it's good to see the "G4 for Dummies" thread has been started . . . for those people that can face the facts of their dumminess, etc. In the meanwhile I'm still continuing my testing of the Xu 12.04 .iso, but I have subscribed to the "Dummy" thread . . . and if a conversation develops there, like on a forum, I may offer a post . . . . : - 0

e.e.p.

Beans

et al:

This conversations seems to have slowed a bit, but . . . my testing/use of the Xu 12.04 system continues, overall it's fine, for my iBook it seems to run a tad better with the LXDE . . . DE, the main point of issue is the "revival from suspend" feature which I think I've mentioned before . . . is a wild card. At least 50% of the time that I'm reviving from suspend I can get a screen to log in, log in, get a desktop, can see the browser tab in the toolbar, it shows I'm connected to internet, so things are happening . . . but when I click on the browser tab or email tab . . . nothing happens . . . the screen is there, but frozen . . . meaning the only option that I can think of is to shut the computer down and reboot thru the Yaboot process . . . and re log in . . . . Sure, it's not the end of the world, but . . . seems like it could be better? It did seem like this problem was happening less in LXDE than XFCE, but now it seems that LXDE has developed this . . . tic? Bug?

933MHz processor with about 646MB??? RAM

e.e.p.

Beans

Folks/rsavage:

I'm replying to this thread . . . to myself or my last post in this thread, because this thread had dropped to page 4 and the problem as I described with the reviving from suspend issues . . . continues. It is not a total failure to revive, I get the log in window, I can log in, the desktop is "populated" but clicking on tabs or on icons does nothing . . . only option at that point is to shut the unit down.

This is the rsavge version of Xubuntu 12.04 for PPC on iBook 933 MHz with 640 RAM, and I added the LXDE DE, which brings a non-working Openbox. I might have had Lu 12.04 loaded before, and probably the suspend issue was a problem there, in this version sometimes it works but many times it doesn't. Any thoughts appreciated, perhaps removing the LXDE DE?

e.e.p.
    Last edited by este.el.paz; May 18th, 2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typos words forgotten, stuff like that

Beans

Folks/rsavage:

I'm replying to this thread . . . to myself or my last post in this thread, because this thread had dropped to page 4 and the problem as I described with the reviving from suspend issues . . . continues. It is not a total failure to revive, I get the log in window, I can log in, the desktop is "populated" but clicking on tabs or on icons does nothing . . . only option at that point is to shut the unit down.

This is the rsavge version of Xubuntu 12.04 for PPC on iBook 933 MHz with 640 RAM, and I added the LXDE DE, which brings a non-working Openbox. I might have had Lu 12.04 loaded before, and probably the suspend issue was a problem there, in this version sometimes it works but many times it doesn't. Any thoughts appreciated, perhaps removing the LXDE DE?

e.e.p.
    Et al:

Also posting over here, again replying to me, myself, and I . . . alone again . . . that still testing the rsavage edition of Xu 12.04, but using LXDE seems to allow for more consistent revive from suspend, I'm hoping it will continue. Nothing was done on my end, except making the decision to move away from the Xubun cairo dock feature to the more spartan LXDE format, or perhaps a kernel or other update done recently has helped with this problem . . . . Thanks to any who made this possible, no direct feedback or help was provided through the forum . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

I'll have a go on my PowerMac G5 tonight...

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast