with
    xforceimacg3
    givs same than str8bs picture

with
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

without
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

i get xxa and nice GUI

and if i use ONLY the VGA port with flat screen i dont need any arg at boot but this will use aty128fb driver but good GUI on the extern screen and the build in is black ( so imac with VGA conector (mirror) will work with a LCD and arg live at boot )

and both XXA, EXA give glxgear 200 - 300 but with EXA its like choppy

so a arg like xforceimac3xxa and xforceimac3exa at the boot can make some sens

have a nice day

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Yesterday Itried to instal ubuntu 12.04 precise from live desktop cd on mac:
    Configuration:
    dual 2.0ghz PPC G5 (early 2006)
    Chipset Model: GeForce 6600
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: SLOT-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0141
    Revision ID: 0x00a4
    ROM Revision: 2149
    Displays:
    Cinema:
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported
    Display Connector:
    2hd to boot
    1TB for leopard 7200 RPM WD
    160GB 7200 RPM WD for Ubuntu (free space)

first off:
    the menu was blank, seriously and it looks like my graphic card is not going for it.
    Then the installer is impossible, I'm not a programmer or a linux expert...is there a guide installation (something without making your own partitions)
    Also how can I make the partitions I have tried everything someone with a hands on experience and proven success on that please tell me.
    When I finally made to the installation process , happens two things:
    1. it stuck on "Saving installed packages" and nothing happens, I have to redo everything
    2. it installs but when I try to boot to see what is going on, I cannot boot because yaboot have a problem...
    Some guided help would be appreciated.

Gus

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gusduenas View Post
    Yesterday Itried to instal ubuntu 12.04 precise from live desktop cd on mac:
    160GB 7200 RPM WD for Ubuntu (free space)

first off:
    the menu was blank, seriously and it looks like my graphic card is not going for it.
    Then the installer is impossible, I'm not a programmer or a linux expert...is there a guide installation (something without making your own partitions)
    Also how can I make the partitions I have tried everything someone with a hands on experience and proven success on that please tell me.
    When I finally made to the installation process , happens two things:
    1. it stuck on "Saving installed packages" and nothing happens, I have to redo everything
    2. it installs but when I try to boot to see what is going on, I cannot boot because yaboot have a problem...
    Some guided help would be appreciated.

Gus
    @gus:

I'm not an expert, but I've done quite a few installs of Linux systems, on PPC & Intel . . . so it's difficult to know what's going on, but, first thing, I'm not sure if Ubuntu"supports PPC" . . . it might be OK for Intel apple, but not for PPC. So, you should try Lubuntu 12.04 for PPC, or this recent .iso from rsavage for Xubuntu 12.04 for PPC and try that. Then the iinstaller should work better, and you could pick "guided" install, and pick "install in largest free space" option . . . it might go better . . . .

e.e.p.
    Last edited by este.el.paz; March 7th, 2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: added in "for PPC"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    @cortman
    I mixed issues in my last post. (now edited to clarify)
    Are you having color, acceleration related, or both issues? What card do you have?
    Color issues. Same off colors as you show in your scrot.
    According to lspci it has the ATI RV3500AP card, which is using Radeon 9600. According to what I've found on the internet there's not a lot to do for that one...

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

New r128 package to try http://ubuntuone.com/4LLpVj4rgRQurdInUeXCGd "OUTREGP Patch"

New radeon/ati package with very latest fixes http://ubuntuone.com/4R8Wa15Bdy9V9oy6OyX5q3
    Last edited by rsavage; March 10th, 2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Labelled patch

Beans

So far as I know there is an iso for Ubuntu 12.04 ppc g5(new world macs)...Do you or anyone else knows how to install the partition thing correctly...I'm using a 160gbHD.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    @gus:

I'm not an expert, but I've done quite a few installs of Linux systems, on PPC & Intel . . . so it's difficult to know what's going on, but, first thing, I'm not sure if Ubuntu"supports PPC" . . . it might be OK for Intel apple, but not for PPC. So, you should try Lubuntu 12.04 for PPC, or this recent .iso from rsavage for Xubuntu 12.04 for PPC and try that. Then the iinstaller should work better, and you could pick "guided" install, and pick "install in largest free space" option . . . it might go better . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

C'mon I cant believe I'm the only one trying this on a dual 2GHZ g5 (early 2006) with nvidia geforce 6600 256mb...someone should have known how to do it!!! please help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gusduenas View Post
    So far as I know there is an iso for Ubuntu 12.04 ppc g5(new world macs)...Do you or anyone else knows how to install the partition thing correctly...I'm using a 160gbHD.

Gus
    Gus:

OK, yes, you are right, there is a Ubuntu for PPC, I thought I checked this only a couple weeks ago and didn't see anything there for PPC, but just checked it now and there it is. So, question, did you download the "Desktop CD" and can you boot the CD and run the system BEFORE trying to install it? Or do you have the "alternate installer" . . . I'd say you should test using the Desktop CD and see if you like it. Again, if you have the entire HD to install into, it's a lot easier than if ou are trying to do a dual boot . . . . As I mentioned, the "guided" install is available, but there should be an automatic install if you are using the whole HD. Otherwise, if you do the partition manually you need a home, a "swap" which is supposed to be double the RAM size, and then a small partition for yaboot.

e.e.p.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Please stop spamming this thread and stick to your own.

Beans

Well I did the alternate a few hours ago and it installs! gladly, I don't know how long it would it be (until it does something funny , that force to erase the HD again).but at least I have it Ubuntu 12.04 on my g5 (dual boot) I was using the desktop cd, because I install that way Kubuntu, but I like more th Ubuntu GUI, now I'm using the 2d desktop instead of the default one, because something funny happens with the icons on the main menu...so I will use it until I find a way to make this Ubuntu to accept My nvidia gt6600 card....But So far, so good.

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast