Thread: New Laptop/Ultrabook options..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

New Laptop/Ultrabook options..

Well here it is, tax time, and I am contemplating the plunge into a new laptop to replace my 5-year old Acer. As much as I would love to be able to afford a macbook pro or air, I am more inclined to stay with linux as my OS of choice (not to mention most windoze-based machines are at least a fair magnitude cheaper than a comparable Macbook).

I see the new ultrabooks being touted, and understand they don't have built-in optical drives for installation from CD/DVD media unless connected externally through USB (or using a USB stick with the installation ISO).

All that being said, I'm looking for general opinions on the various notebook/ultrabook options out there. I figure I want to stick with an Intel i-something (i5 I presume) and at least 4GB ram. Any hints, tricks, or other suggestions to watch out for, and/or recommendations for specific models? I'm all ears.. thanks!

Beans

Re: New Laptop/Ultrabook options..

I am in a similar situation. Tried a Macbook Pro 7.1, but had some issues and didn't really like it.
    So, i am looking now at the following devices:
    Dell Vostro V131 - A rather light decent 13" with very good linux support (even ubuntu certified) but the display is not that good
    Dell Latitude E5420 - 14" but not really light (2.0kg) also ubuntu certified
    Acer S3 - super light 13" not sure how good linux support is
    HP Folio 13 - Has same issues with backlight
    HP 5330m - 13" with nice alu casing, is sold with linux preinstalled - so will probably work well
    Asus UX31 - Has several issues
    Dell Latitude E6320 and Lenovo Thinkpad T420s too expensive

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: New Laptop/Ultrabook options..

Thanks.. I've been looking at a couple of those (the Acer and Asus), and did add the HP Folio to a list to check out next time I could get into the city. Will have to check out those others as well.