Thread: Need some suggestion please lucid+3.3rc1+lirc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Need some suggestion please lucid+3.3rc1+lirc

Hey All,

I have a test machine with a fresh lucid installed and I upgraded the kernel to 3.3rc1 to try and get the suspend/resume issues fixed but it made lirc stop working.

So I know with the new kernel that my imon (ffdc) using the ir in the lcd from an mce remote get loaded into the kernel. So I rmmod the lirc_imon driver and change lirc setup to /dev/input 7 I believe. but I get nothing on irw. lirc is the std version that ships with lucid so it may need 0.9 to work with the new kernel.

I have tried getting the ir-keytable and setting that up as well still no luck ir-keytable -t does not register any keypresses on the remote.

Finally I have to use /dev/input with lirc as the .86 version does not see /dev/input/by-id for my device when using dpkg-reconfigure.

Is there any way to get 0.90 lirc onto Lucid other than compiling from source.

Thanks,

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Need some suggestion please lucid+3.3rc1+lirc

ok, removed the daily kernel I was testing and installed 3.3rc2 from the mainline (debs). I purged everything lirc, ir-keytable etc... did a clean install of lirc, ir-keytable. compiled and made lirc 0.9.0.

1. ir-keytable sees the imon vfd
    2. lirc 0.8.6 is set to /dev/input and /dev/input/by-id
    3. All modules are loaded (kernel modules)
    4. mythbuntu-lirc-generator ran and removed the doubles from lircrc
    5. copied a fresh lircd.conf/devinput to /etc/lirc from the 0.9.0 source
    6. load modules "false" in hardware.conf

No response on irw no response on ir-keytable -t
    (but the power button from the same remote will wake the machine from suspend)

the stop lirc 0.8.6 goto the .0.9.0 build directory load up a no daemon lircd test pid - it opens /var/lirc/lircd no problems

sudo irw in another terminal and see that lirc registers the client and initializes the device. still no response from irw.

so I suspend the machine and take a break come back and resume the machine and it works on the 0.8.6 on /dev/input.

I am complety baffled by this and afraid to reboot the machine. I am not even sure where to look, if I reboot and it is not working but then I suspend and resume and it started working; WTF, where do I start looking for that problem.

EDIT - Yes! that is exactly what is happening. lirc will not respond after a system reboot but does respond after the first suspend/resume.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by rodercot; February 1st, 2012 at 06:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Need some suggestion please lucid+3.3rc1+lirc

All fixed it was a bug that jarod had already created a patch for and is upstream for placement into the 3.3 kernel. if you are running the 3.3rc2 kernel then I created a new imon.ko driver and you can use that it is on the link below. I created the file against the 3.3rc2 kernel modules. here is the link to the bug and and how I fixed it

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...524/comments/7

rgds,

Dave