Thread: Does LUBUNTU work these things

Beans

Does LUBUNTU work these things

Just decided that lubuntu (lubuntu is the lightest one right?? please correct me if im wrong) is my best bet but I was wondering will it work common programs such as Skype, MSN, media players, and Chrome? And maybe microsoft office or something similar? And will it sync with my phone so I can download music and transfer it to my phone? (nokia, running on s60) Those are pretty much the only things I do on a computer...

Also does it work special effects like the real ubuntu (downloading themes, 3d effects, transision effects when opening and closing windows for example etc), and is it just as customizable or are there limitations? plz answer ty

and sorry if these are all noob questions im just new to all this

also i dont give a crap about pc gaming or those really big or expensive softwares
    Last edited by trolol; January 31st, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Does LUBUNTU work these things

Quote Originally Posted by trolol View Post
    Just decided that lubuntu is my best bet but I was wondering will it work common programs such as Skype, MSN, media players, and Chrome? And maybe microsoft office or something similar? And will it sync with my phone so I can download music and transfer it to my phone? (nokia, running on s60) Those are pretty much the only things I do on a computer...

Also does it work special effects like the real ubuntu (downloading themes, 3d effects, transision effects when opening and closing windows for example etc), and is it just as customizable or are there limitations? plz answer ty

and sorry if these are all noob questions im just new to all this
    Im going to generalize and answer yes to all your questions, but there is a few gotchas that you may run into; there is no Microsoft Office but we do have LibreOffice which can read and write MS Office file formats, and its unlikely that nokia offer a linux version of their software suite for your phone but you should be able ot drag and drop files to it like any other externally connected device.

Hope this helps,
    Bodsda
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bodsda View Post
    Im going to generalize and answer yes to all your questions, but there is a few gotchas that you may run into; there is no Microsoft Office but we do have LibreOffice which can read and write MS Office file formats, and its unlikely that nokia offer a linux version of their software suite for your phone but you should be able ot drag and drop files to it like any other externally connected device.

Hope this helps,
    Bodsda
    Sweet this helped me alot, libre office seems like it will do the job and yeah i always drag and drop to my phone on windows so it should be all good. Thanks so much bro, I'm so getting lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sweet this helped me alot, libre office seems like it will do the job and yeah i always drag and drop to my phone on windows so it should be all good. Thanks so much bro, I'm so getting lubuntu
    Glad I could help,

Bodsda
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just decided that lubuntu (lubuntu is the lightest one right?? please correct me if im wrong) is my best bet but I was wondering will it work common programs such as Skype, MSN, media players, and Chrome?
    Any software that runs on regular Ubuntu will also run on Lubuntu. The only difference between Ubuntu and Lubuntu is the desktop environment (the GUI).

Skype and Chrome are available for Linux/Ubuntu. I'd suggest using Chromium instead - it's a little more up-to-date plus a little easier to install, and it's basically Chrome without the branding. MSN is a Windows-only program so it won't work, but you can install Empathy or Pidgin in Lubuntu which are both multi-protocol instant messengers. Or you could use the Meebo website, which is like Pidgin but web-based.

There are also plenty of media players for Ubuntu/Lubuntu. I'm sure Lubuntu comes with one, but in either case you can install VLC; that's the most popular video player on Ubuntu/Lubuntu.

And maybe microsoft office or something similar?
    Libreoffice is preinstalled on Ubuntu. I'm not sure if it is on Lubuntu, but it's easy to install. Microsoft Office is Windows software, so you can't use it.

And will it sync with my phone so I can download music and transfer it to my phone? (nokia, running on s60)
    You can transfer music to a Nokia phone just by dragging and dropping it into the Music folder, like it was a USB flash drive. That works pretty well.

Also does it work special effects like the real ubuntu (downloading themes, 3d effects, transision effects when opening and closing windows for example etc), and is it just as customizable or are there limitations?
    Lubuntu is designed for low-performance systems, so I don't believe this will be preinstalled by default. However, you can install Compiz which is the system that provides the effects on Ubuntu. It might need a bit of tweaking to start off with.

LXDE (the Lubuntu desktop) has been in development for longer than Ubuntu's Unity desktop, so it can actually be tweaked and customized more than Unity.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Any software that runs on regular Ubuntu will also run on Lubuntu. The only difference between Ubuntu and Lubuntu is the desktop environment (the GUI).

Skype and Chrome are available for Linux/Ubuntu. I'd suggest using Chromium instead - it's a little more up-to-date plus a little easier to install, and it's basically Chrome without the branding. MSN is a Windows-only program so it won't work, but you can install Empathy or Pidgin in Lubuntu which are both multi-protocol instant messengers. Or you could use the Meebo website, which is like Pidgin but web-based.

There are also plenty of media players for Ubuntu/Lubuntu. I'm sure Lubuntu comes with one, but in either case you can install VLC; that's the most popular video player on Ubuntu/Lubuntu.

Libreoffice is preinstalled on Ubuntu. I'm not sure if it is on Lubuntu, but it's easy to install. Microsoft Office is Windows software, so you can't use it.

You can transfer music to a Nokia phone just by dragging and dropping it into the Music folder, like it was a USB flash drive. That works pretty well.

Lubuntu is designed for low-performance systems, so I don't believe this will be preinstalled by default. However, you can install Compiz which is the system that provides the effects on Ubuntu. It might need a bit of tweaking to start off with.

LXDE (the Lubuntu desktop) has been in development for longer than Ubuntu's Unity desktop, so it can actually be tweaked and customized more than Unity.
    Yeah it did help very much, thanks bro
    Last edited by trolol; January 31st, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

...And will it sync with my phone so I can download music and transfer it to my phone? (nokia, running on s60) Those are pretty much the only things I do on a computer...
    I have such a Nokia phone and yes, you can see its flash memory as a USB drive and transfer any files: music, pictures, videos, documents.

Furthermore you can use your phone as a modem and connect to the internet provided that the phone can connect to a base station. So where you can make a phone-call, you can also connect your computer to the internet. For that action, select PC-suite on your phone when connected to USB (but the whole PC-suite is not there in linux).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Lubuntu comes with Chromium.

For Skype LibreOffice etc see - After Installing Lubuntu
    Guide (Things to do & Apps to Install) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1880394

For How-To's, Information and Screen-Casts on Lubuntu go to the
    Lubuntu One Stop Thread -

Lubuntu One Stop Thread

Rodney