Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

I was running Xubuntu\Ubuntu 11.04 (have Xfce AND Gnome installed, although I just installed Gnome to fix a problem with my USB headset), although ever since I upgraded to 11.10 I've been getting a message every time I open Chromium that my keyring wasn't unlocked upon login, something I never had before I ran the upgrade.

From what I have found, this is commonly associated with using an auto-login, however I have a password login, as I use this for school (Windows sucks, I wish it would just die already, kinda like IE6).

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

Last time this happened for me was when I upgraded by way of doing a fresh install but just copied over my previous home folder. The reason it happened was because I used a different password on installation, but the keyring information in my home folder was still matched up to my previous password. I don't remember how I fixed that, but I remember it was pretty easy. If that seems similar to your situation perhaps someone who's had more coffee than I have can chime in.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Got to Menu/Settings/Passwords and Keys,
    Right-click the default item and choose 'Change Password'.
    Change it to match your login password.
    If that fails, you can try to delete the default keyring. It will be recreated next time an application requests it and you can enter your login password at that time.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That seemed to have worked, I changed the password to the password, rebooted and went to my email without it asking for my keychain password.

Lets home that was the fix .

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The above solution sounds sensible, but I don't have "Passwords and Keys" under menu settings - not sure how to proceed.

Xubuntu 11.10 suddenly started asking for my keyring password after an update (not the update to 11.10, though). I also registered to leave comments on programs in the Software Center around the same time, so I'm not sure which (if either) caused it. It happens when Update manager runs, and at other seemingly random times - and after using Windows for years, out-of-the-blue password requests raise my malware hackles.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You need to install package seahorse which is not included by default in Xubuntu.

If you have configured your system for automatic login, the keyring will not be unlocked automatically. It's a security feature in case someone steals your computer or breaks in.

So a program like Update Manager will ask for the unlock password. Most browsers also encrypt sensitive infos using the keyring. If you enter a website that asks for a password, and you have asked Firefox (or Chrome, etc) to save it for you, the browser will prompt you to unlock the keyring.

The annoying part is that the dialog contains no info about which program is requesting and for what reason. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future.

If you don't care about this level of security, just set your keyring to have no password in seahorse.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This is driving me INSANE. I installed seahorse and the $#%#-ed pop-up STILL comes up at random times. I'm playing OpenArena and it interrupts my game (and I get killed, of course). There MUST be a solution to this pest that doesn't compromise security.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scottbomb View Post
    This is driving me INSANE. I installed seahorse and the $#%#-ed pop-up STILL comes up at random times. I'm playing OpenArena and it interrupts my game (and I get killed, of course). There MUST be a solution to this pest that doesn't compromise security.
    Are you using gnome-keyring?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't know what it is. I use xfce with Xubuntu if that helps. Gnome desktop itself is not installed but there's something mysterious that makes that pop-up come up. It's usually after the machine has been on for about 15-20 min. It happens on 2 different machines. Every day.

Beans

Well here is what I do with my .xinitrc:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # ~/.xinitrc
    #
    # Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
      for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
        [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
      done
      unset f
    fi

#export __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE=DFP-1
    export BROWSER="chromium"
    /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=gpg
    /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11
    /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=secrets
    /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=ssh

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session

You don't use openbox of course but maybe that should give you an idea. What I used to do is launch this script when my computer starts before my email (evolution):
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    eval \`gnome-keyring-daemon\`
    export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
    export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
    exit
    I also use "unsafe storage" though (a blank password in the keyring). I also use a different distro. So I am unsure if this will help you at all actually. It helped me in the past though when I was having a similar issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast