Thread: Cant Install Ubuntu

Beans

Cant Install Ubuntu

I recently had to change computers I am now running and old desktop E-Machines etower566i2 running Win XP Home . It is a 566 mhz machine with 32 megs ram .
    I tried to DL the most recent version of Ubuntu 11.4 I believe it is , Using Wubi to install mit next to windows . It seems to be loading and installing just fine but it stops halfway It shows a multi colored screen and then just freezes. I also have two older Ubuntu live cd's w 910 and kubuntu w 10.04 and the same thing happens when I try to load them . Even the live cd will not work . Please help me get out of windows

P.S. I have been running linux for several yrs. My registered user # is 316010 and this isa the only time I havent been able to load any linux distro

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Cant Install Ubuntu

A Wubi install is not next to, but inside Windows.

With 32 MB of memory you can not run Ubuntu, neither stand alone nor the Wubi version.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think that machine is challenged but if you add some memory it would run light weight distros. This one is quite light and ubuntu based. http://www.bodhilinux.com/system.php Only requires 128MB.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans

Unless moderator comment addressed your question, I have had 10.10 & 10.04 not work when I tried to copy to DVD then install. Have you re-burned or used a different iso burning app?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Here are more of the light ones:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1582027

but I guess you would be better off by finding some 3-4 years old used gear.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have the same problem installing in Windows 7 - it appears to stall O.K. but on Booting it only gets at far as the opening screen and the opening music, then only my mouse pointer is there and able to move, but nothing further happens.
    This is after the second burn of the disk image at the slowest speed. (The latest edition of Ubuntu)
    Please advise.
    Frederick