Thread: Trying to Run Steam Games on Wine

Beans

Trying to Run Steam Games on Wine

Hallo, I'm pretty much a novice at the inner workings of computers, but I've been attempting to get Steam, the game distributor... thing, running along with the games therein, using wine.

So, I've managed to get Steam itself running, and installed a few games, but when I try to run them, they crash silently and quickly before reaching any sort of menu screen.

the games I've tried are Half Life 2: Episode 1, Portal, and Oblivion. the first two crashed during the loading screen before the main menu, and the latter just seemed to not open up the game from the launcher menu.

has anyone experienced similar problems, or have any reccomendations on what to do about this, or where to go?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Trying to Run Steam Games on Wine

Hi and welcome to the forums,

I did get Portal running, which is a Steam game, but I can't remember exactly what I did.

Could I suggest that you ask your question here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=313

It's the Wine subforum of the Gaming and Leisure section of the forums. You'd probably have a better chance of getting your question answered there
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Wine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You might want to give PlayOnLinux (POL) a try. Its a front-end to wine that simplifies the installation and management of games (and apps) using pre-designed scripts. There are scripts available for all 3 of those games (CD/DVD & Steam versions).

Although POL is available in the repositories, the version is out of date. To get the latest version, you should install the version from their repositories. Instructions are located in the Ubuntu section of this page: http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

And before doing anything read wineHQ setup instructions for each game.