Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brasero claims FLAC files are not valid audio files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Brasero claims FLAC files are not valid audio files

All of the albums I have ripped recently with Exact Audio Copy are being rejected by Brasero if I attempt to burn a CD using them. Other files from previous periods (possible using applications other than EAC) Brasero accepts.

These same rejected files are playable in Movie Player, VLC, mouse-over preview, Banshee, and Rhythmbox (on this and other machines). The permissions all appear to be the same whether burnable or not (r/w, r, r).

I did find one downloaded album which is having the same problem so it's possible that it's merely coincidence that all of my recent rips are not working. Then again maybe it was ripped on an Ubuntu 10.04 machine using EAC; what do I know?

The error is "[some audio file] could not be opened. [some audio file] is not suitable for audio or video media." And yet every other media device I have plays them just fine...

What? A little help?
    Last edited by jamesisin; January 29th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Brasero claims FLAC files are not valid audio files

You need to burn flac files as data, not audio.

Beans
    Distro

I don't want a CD of FLAC files. I want an audio CD.

Are you suggesting that Brasero won't transcode the files as it burns the CD? I'm pretty sure it does. I have burned CD's from my playlists in the past (and my entire collection is FLAC). As a matter of fact to test this I just burned a CD now from FLAC files by selecting an album of FLAC files (at random) in Banshee and using the Write CD option from the right-click menu with those tracks hi-lighted. Plays fine in my DVD player.

Regardless this wouldn't explain why Brasero accepts some of the FLAC files but not these most recent files ripped with EAC.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try k3b then. But you will also need libk3b6-extracodecs. I've burned audio cd's before with it.

Beans

you could also just have flac decompress to wav, then burn the .wav's

If so I'd just cd to a dir. holding the .flac's & at that prompt run a simple command

Ex. - create a holding folder named 'burn', then have flac output the .wav's there

Code:
    mkdir burn && for f in *.flac; do flac -d --output-prefix=./burn/ "$f"; done
    You could run a problem .flac thru flac using -V option to see if anything shows or maybe -a on one that doesn't work & one that does to look for diff's that may be causing this
    Last edited by mc4man; January 30th, 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I thought maybe there was something Brasero found unpleasant in the meta-data, so I went in and changed the tags on two albums (added disc number 01) to see if that act of saving them would correct anything. No such luck.

K3B was able to burn the playlist without difficulty and that CD plays fine in my DVD player.

Here is the thing though: my question isn't how do I burn these songs; my question is how do I make Brasero do what it's supposed to do?

I advocate for Ubuntu (and Linux in general) so having things at this basic level function is vital. Brasero, the default burning tool and the tool called up by the now default media library application (Banshee) and the most common media library application (Rhythmbox), should be able to burn discs from FLAC files ripped through the de facto error correcting ripping software (EAC).

It is very important to me that I find a solution and not just a cumbersome workaround (export to playlist file, import to an application that must first be installed, and finally burn the CD).

So, back to my original question: what is/not Brasero or EAC doing (and how can I fix it)?

Test Results:

The problem files give this error when running flac -V against them.

Code:
    ERROR: input file /path/to/file.flac has an ID3v2 tag
    Last edited by jamesisin; January 30th, 2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Added flac -V test results
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Opps- wrong option, that would be -t (for test) though likely will come up good

Anyway did you or whoever use eac in wine or windows? (I could run a cd or 2 later this week with eac in wine to see if brasero dislikes

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
    That sounds just like it & what's interesting there is that the attached flac was also created in eac

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, -t came up "OK".

I added my information to that bug report and linked it back here.

Thanks for finding it.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast