Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After installing NVIDIA drivers, boots directly to blank screen

Beans

Re: After installing NVIDIA drivers, boots directly to blank screen

Quote Originally Posted by ErWenn View Post
    Okay, so after I couldn't get to the GUI after the first reboot, I figured "what's the worst that could happen?" and followed your instructions anyway. Obviously, it didn't work. And then I might've tried something else, but I don't really remember at this time. So I turned off the computer and went to work. Came back today and turned it on to see if I could figure out what might be wrong with the hardware and suddenly everything worked. I mean everything. The NVIDIA settings had properly detected the exact make and model of my video card and my television and I was able to watch 1080p video with no problem.

Of course, I had a nagging sensation that it wouldn't work if I rebooted again, and that turned out to be right.

I'll go make a memtest boot disk, I mean boot... uh... boot stick?
    doesn't grub offer memtest any more?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yes memtest should be on bootloader. Are you sure that it was the nvidia-current driver that loaded and not the nouveau driver.

here are a link to another thread I posted to have a gander at the two links that are posted in there and that may help with your black screen as well. I could not take it anymore, I went back to Lucid and installed the new 3.3rc2 kernel on it and have the nvidia drivers working great, alsa 1.0.25 installed and I am working on lirc. OH ya suspend and resume is working on my Intel Sandy Bridge Test Rig.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=20

Dave

Beans

I'm still having trouble getting to the grub menu. Don't know why. No amount of holding or tapping <SHIFT> seems to bring it up.

Anyway, I ran memtest from a boot stick. Ran it all day long. Almost 9 passes and no errors. Is there anyway to do some kind of testing on the video card? That was the new piece of hardware.

Are you sure that it was the nvidia-current driver that loaded and not the nouveau driver.
    I'm pretty sure it's the nvidia-current driver. On the most recent install, I never got to the GUI* with the default nouveau drivers. I went and installed nvidia-current from command line a couple reboots before that one magic boot where everything worked. I spent some time looking at the NVIDIA settings menus, so I'm pretty sure those are the drivers I was running.

Having said that, this doesn't seem to have an effect on whether the GUI loads or not. So far, it's loaded with the new video card twice. Once after an "upgrade" installation using the nouveau drivers, before I activated the nvidia-current drivers. And once recently with the nvidia-current drivers.

It might be having some effect on the blank screen problem, though. I haven't seen just the blank screen in a while. It's mostly just stopping somewhere with a bunch of boot log messages on the screen, right after a message about the LightDM Display Manager or about checking the battery.

*I keep calling it "the GUI", but I'm pretty sure there's a better name for it. Is it just "X"?

Beans

I'm still having trouble getting to the grub menu. Don't know why. No amount of holding or tapping <SHIFT> seems to bring it up.
    it may be the control or escape key?

Anyway, I ran memtest from a boot stick. Ran it all day long. Almost 9 passes and no errors. Is there anyway to do some kind of testing on the video card? That was the new piece of hardware.

I'm pretty sure it's the nvidia-current driver. On the most recent install, I never got to the GUI* with the default nouveau drivers. I went and installed nvidia-current from command line a couple reboots before that one magic boot where everything worked. I spent some time looking at the NVIDIA settings menus, so I'm pretty sure those are the drivers I was running.
    the log (var/log/Xorg.0.log will be explicit about what driver is loaded. Read it.[/quote]
    Having said that, this doesn't seem to have an effect on whether the GUI loads or not. So far, it's loaded with the new video card twice. Once after an "upgrade" installation using the nouveau drivers, before I activated the nvidia-current drivers. And once recently with the nvidia-current drivers.

It might be having some effect on the blank screen problem, though. I haven't seen just the blank screen in a while. It's mostly just stopping somewhere with a bunch of boot log messages on the screen, right after a message about the LightDM Display Manager or about checking the battery.

*I keep calling it "the GUI", but I'm pretty sure there's a better name for it. Is it just "X"?[/QUOTE]

It is X

Have you tried starting the display manager from the command line?
    Code:
    sudo restart lightdm
    Or just X
    Code:
    startx

Beans

the log (var/log/Xorg.0.log will be explicit about what driver is loaded. Read it.
    Duh. Should've thought of that. I checked. It's definitely the NVIDIA drivers.

It booted again to X this morning! Given that my few successful boots have always been right after the computer (which has now been named MikeTeavee because it's being such a little brat) was off for a long time, I'm starting to think it's an overheating problem.

(Honestly, every intermittent, completely unpredictable error I've had in any OS in the past has turned out to be an overheating problem, so I should've thought of that a couple days ago. I think I was distracted by the original blank screen problem, which I'm now starting to suspect was a separate problem entirely.)

I suspect it's the video card itself that's got the heating problem or it would've shown up with the older video card. But maybe it's possible that it's more to do with the port, as the old card was just straight up PCI and the new one is PCI Express (2.0? x16? I think? Probably doesn't matter.) Or I guess it could just be one of those things that happens when you're moving stuff around.

I want to be sure about the hardware problem as most of the hardware (motherboard, processor, RAM, video card, even the wireless network card) is less than a month old, and I can probably get it replaced without paying extra if I'm sure that that's what's gone wrong.

Have you tried starting the display manager from the command line? Code:
    sudo restart lightdm
    Or just X Code:
    startx

I have tried "startx", and it didn't work, but I honestly don't remember what the error message was. The next time it fails to boot normally, I'll try both of those things and report what happens.

I'll also see if I can ascertain the temperature of the video card. I think it's got its own BIOS, so I'll start there. (Man, I wish my IR thermometer was still working.) There must be a program for monitoring the temperature... anyone know what it is?

In the meantime, I'm going to leave it on for a while and see what happens. If it is an overheating problem, I wonder if it will manifest itself while it's running, or if it only seems to affect booting problems. I'm also going to see if I can figure out what the lightDM manager is actually supposed to do.

Thanks to both of you for sticking with me here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

if you open nvidia settings in the gui or X as you called it later there is a thermal page for the gpu which gives it current temp. you can also google lm-sensors and read up on it. That is the program in linux the probes the temps if you have really new hardware then make sure it is supported with the latest version sometimes it is a bigger pain to get lm-sensors working than just checking the bios. There may be a gui version of it as well - google is your friend here.

Dave

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rodercot View Post
    if you open nvidia settings in the gui or X as you called it later there is a thermal page for the gpu which gives it current temp. you can also google lm-sensors and read up on it. That is the program in linux the probes the temps if you have really new hardware then make sure it is supported with the latest version sometimes it is a bigger pain to get lm-sensors working than just checking the bios. There may be a gui version of it as well - google is your friend here.

Dave
    actually the correct command is
    Code:
    nvidia-settings -q GPUCoreTemp

Beans

Okay, so I let MikeTeavee run all day today and then came home to see if he would reboot. Before I did, I checked the GPU temperature using the NVidia settings and it was running at a balmy 26°C, so that didn't look like it was going to be an issue. I shut down the computer and a quick hand check seems to back up that reported 26°C. I turned him on and and expected, the boot process froze up. The last three or four failed boots have all ended at the same place, with only one message at the top of the screen (the numbers are different each time, of course):

Code:
    [ 79.354080] init: lightdm main process (2026) terminated with status 1
    I rebooted and checked the BIOS settings and both the motherboard and CPU were in the 25-35°C range, so no trouble there.

Since the "NVIDIA graphics device" "failed to initialize", I can't use the nvidia-settings command. I just get:

Code:
    ERROR: The control display is undefined: please run `nvidia-settings --help`
    for usage information.
    Since the lightDM terminates, I can't restart it. "sudo restart lightdm" results in:

Code:
    restart: Unknown instance:
    If I try "sudo start lightdm", it flips back over to the screen with the boot error message and adds another of the same message:

Code:
    [ 499.898609] init: lightdm main process (234 terminated with status 1
    Running "startx" shows error messages similar to those that showed up earlier in the Xorg.0.log:

Code:
    (==) Log file:"/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Feb 2 15:59:07 2012
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidia0 (input/output error).
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:2:0:0. Please
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): check your system's kernel log for additional error
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): messages and refer to Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): README for additional information.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
    (EE) Screens(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
    for help
    Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional informati
    on.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: server error
    Not sure what to check next.

Beans

Not sure what to check next.
    It tells you what to do next:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): check your system's kernel log for additional error
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): messages and refer to Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): README for additional information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the issue with the nvidia-settings command is exactly why I mentioned lm-sensors that you could run across a ssh terminal even if X is not running knowing your issues I wanted you to be able to access the info in some manner.

The reason for the errors in the log, I think if you look in the log you will see that the driver (290.10) did not load and nouveau will not load if it see an instance of the prop driver.

Did you have a look at the two links I posted previously they were fixes for this issue with "greeter" which is built into 11.10.

I rolled back to 10.04 after spending a ton of time working on this. I use JYA's repos anyhow and he has not created one for 11.10 yet so for me 10.04 is a better fit, I will test 12.04 once it comes out and maybe then it will be time to upgrade my 6 machines. All of this I do on my test machined not production system.

Dave

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast