Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: After installing NVIDIA drivers, boots directly to blank screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: After installing NVIDIA drivers, boots directly to blank screen

Grub - Boot menu is not shown by default. you have to hold down your shift key after post to get it unless you have done something the system like repair a grub boot config from a livecd or the like. Your problem is not low level it is well documented, driver installs reboots to a scaled driver not loaded but restricted gui, in the old days we would at that point sudo nvidia-xconfig and reboot to a full scaled 1920x1080p desktop and then edit the xorg.conf to what we needed. Now it's not like that issuing sudo nvidia-xconfig causes a black screen but the system is still running as you can access it from a putty (ssh) session across the network. All this is just FYI for you. As a new user I suggest doing the above in my post only, you can get yourself in deep doo-doo pretty quick issuing commands from all the posts you read across the internet.

Rgds,

Dave

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rodercot View Post
    HI,

I just went through this on the weekend and I was completely ready to throw out the the setup and go back to 10.04. I have an P8H61-i and i3 2120 chip. Clean install of 11.10 and believe me I Searched everywhere for a fix. This is what I did

Clean install - update all software after the first boot std - Then I added the x-swat ppa - sudo apt-get update - sudo apt-get upgrade. let it install those three files, reboot. Then goto the optional (additional) drivers selection under system in the toolbar if I recall (I am at work) and choose to activate the nvidia-current (NOT the nvidia-current-updates driver) driver there. This was on a clean install with nothing else loaded for nvidia other than the nouveau driver by default I guess.

Finally reboot and you should have a nice clean screen with 290.10 installed.

I did not blacklist anything on this install, I did not run nvidia-xconfig or any of that. The weird thing after all this is that if I look in the Xorg.0.log it looks the nouveau driver is still loading as well as the 290.10 driver but the system is using the 290.10 driver which is what I wanted and after two days of solid pain I was not going to muck with it.

I have to say these two new version of buntu natty and oneiric have to be the worst. I do not mind upgrading software but when I basically have to relearn EVERYTHING everytime I do and then full of bugs or workarounds it's just too much. Like the suspend resume issue with the H61, H67, P67 boards acpi VER.5.0 boards. I sure hope 12.04 is solid but not if it is shipping with the 3.2 kernel as the suspend fix is just being added to the 3.3rc version kernels. I am waiting for 3.3rc2 to get the patched commits to fix it and no backports that I know off yet.

Sorry for the rant hope it helps.

rgds,

Dave
    By the way, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "x-swat ppa".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rodercot View Post
    Grub - Boot menu is not shown by default. you have to hold down your shift key after post to get it unless you have done something the system like repair a grub boot config from a livecd or the like. Your problem is not low level it is well documented, driver installs reboots to a scaled driver not loaded but restricted gui, in the old days we would at that point sudo nvidia-xconfig and reboot to a full scaled 1920x1080p desktop and then edit the xorg.conf to what we needed. Now it's not like that issuing sudo nvidia-xconfig causes a black screen but the system is still running as you can access it from a putty (ssh) session across the network. All this is just FYI for you. As a new user I suggest doing the above in my post only, you can get yourself in deep doo-doo pretty quick issuing commands from all the posts you read across the internet.

Rgds,

Dave
    I'm doing the clean reinstall now, but in reference to this reply:

I'm not able to get the grub menu to appear (or anything past the BIOS screen) by holding shift, nor by tapping shift repeatedly. (For a while, I felt like my only option was booting from a CD, until I found the <ctrl>+<alt>+<f1> command.)

In any case, since this was a clean install a couple weeks ago, I was willing to experiment as the worst* case scenario was that I'd have to another clean install. Even so, I like to have at least a vague idea of what the suggestions I'm trying are supposed to do, so I'm not completely stumbling blind here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

before all this and after the clean install you should have a fully scaled X screen (GUI) working and your /var/log/Xorg.0.log should be showing that it using the nouveau driver; (you can google x-swat ppa to get some info about the ppa) THEN

you need to open a terminal on your desktop and then enter or copy and paste this line.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

now hit enter to accept the ppa then it will import the key add the ppa to your apt sources.list (where your install get it's software and updates from)

now enter

sudo apt-get update (enter) let it run

then

sudo apt-get upgrade (Answer Y then enter) let it run. it will install a few files from the ppa x-swat. Then reboot as I said and install the additional drivers (nvidia-current)

Dave

Beans

Bah, humbug.

So now I can't even do a a clean reinstall. I tried three times. Once it froze in the middle of the process, and twice, while it got through the install and asked me to reboot, upon rebooting, it got stuck. I've got a screen full of "starting" and "stopping" notices on the screen (looks like the last bit of the boot.log file). Most of them read [OK], with two [fail]s:

Code:
     * Starting automatic crash report generation                    [fail]
    apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
     * Starting LightDM Display Manager                              [fail]

It got stuck both times at the same place. I can <ctrl>+<alt>+<f1> to get a terminal, so I looked in the Xorg.0.conf file. It's got the same errors as before with the "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU" and "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration" nonsense, but there are a couple more warnings an errors earlier in the file:

Code:
    [    25.25.562] (II) LoadModule: "nv"
    [    25.25.562] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
    [    25.25.562] (II) UnloadModule: "nv"
    [    25.25.562] (II) Unloading nv
    [    25.25.562] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
    and

Code:
    [    25.762] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
    [    25.762] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
    [    25.762] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
    Also, when I looked at the boot.log file, while it was very similar to what was on the screen, it doesn't have a [fail] message for "Starting LightDM Display Manager". It has an [ OK ] message, and then it continues on, with the last line being:

Code:
     * Stopping Userspace bootsplash                        [ OK ]
    I'm kind of at a loss here. Something is clearly wrong as I didn't have these problems with previous clean installations and that one time it froze up strikes me as really weird. I'm going to try to manually format the hard drive and then do another clean install next, but please let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

Beans

Oh, also, if I force a reboot, I'm back to the blank screen on boot again.

Beans

Okay, so I didn't format the drive, but I did another clean install. Got a couple lines further in the boot process... made it all the way to

Code:
     * Checking battery state...                   [ OK ]
    before freezing up again.

*sigh*

Beans

If it keeps freezing at different points you may have a hardware problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That is correct, I would run memtest and see what up with your ram. You should be able to do a CLEAN INSTALL off the live cd back to a nouveau driver installed desktop at full scale.

Regards,

Dave

Beans

Okay, so after I couldn't get to the GUI after the first reboot, I figured "what's the worst that could happen?" and followed your instructions anyway. Obviously, it didn't work. And then I might've tried something else, but I don't really remember at this time. So I turned off the computer and went to work. Came back today and turned it on to see if I could figure out what might be wrong with the hardware and suddenly everything worked. I mean everything. The NVIDIA settings had properly detected the exact make and model of my video card and my television and I was able to watch 1080p video with no problem.

Of course, I had a nagging sensation that it wouldn't work if I rebooted again, and that turned out to be right.

I'll go make a memtest boot disk, I mean boot... uh... boot stick?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast