Thread: What should the RPM of the CPU cooler be? Advice

Beans

Question What should the RPM of the CPU cooler be? Advice

Hello, I have a cooler master hyper 212, but with Noctua fans. I've used the low noise adapters on the intake(front) and the CPU cooler fan, and the ultra low noise adapters on the side and back fans. Anyways, my goal is to have a relatively quiet PC. But should I take off the adapter for the CPU fan for better temps? I don't want my PC to overheat, the CPU if I remember correctly Idles a little below 30 degrees Celsius. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!

P.S. I'm using a Thermaltake Commander MS-I case.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Re: What should the RPM of the CPU cooler be? Advice

I'm also using Artic Silver 5, but I do have the CPU overclocked by 700MHZ to 3.5GHz. AMD Phenom II x6 1055T. Cool 'n Quiet is enabled.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What are your temps under load?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Hello, I have a cooler master hyper 212, but with Noctua fans. I've used the low noise adapters on the intake(front) and the CPU cooler fan, and the ultra low noise adapters on the side and back fans. Anyways, my goal is to have a relatively quiet PC. But should I take off the adapter for the CPU fan for better temps? I don't want my PC to overheat, the CPU if I remember correctly Idles a little below 30 degrees Celsius. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!

P.S. I'm using a Thermaltake Commander MS-I case.
    It depends on your CPU, the cooler, the fan, the case (and it's cooling) and of course the ambient temperature of the room where the computer is.

...so don't even try to think about what's the correct RPM, nobody will be able to tell that to you. Instead monitor the CPU temperature, and adjust the fan speed so that the temperature stays within acceptable limits on continuous full load (idle temperature is pretty much meaningless).

edit: in case you don't know what the acceptable temperature for your CPU is, based on the model specs it's 62°C. So as long as you stay below that even under sustained high load, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by mcduck; January 29th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Beans

Okay, thank you. I think I'm going to remove the adapters. And let the fan run at full RPM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Okay, thank you. I think I'm going to remove the adapters. And let the fan run at full RPM.
    That's the safe option, although it's more than likely that even less than full speed would be enough to keep the CPU at acceptable temperatures.

Especially for the case fans you shouldn't need full speed. On a decent case that doesn't have too much restrictions for the airflow it's usually enough for the case fans to run at the lowest speed...

I'd really recommend just monitoring the temperatures for a while to see how low speed you can keep the fans running. Often even a small drop in the fan speed will make a big difference in noise, but much smaller in temperatures.

Beans

Yeah, they are noctua fans, so they are pretty quiet at high speeds.

Beans

The Temp are down and the case is running cooler as a whole, with no addition noise. FTW!