Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I could use a larger Cursor/Mouse Pointers

Beans

Re: I could use a larger Cursor/Mouse Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Update-alternatives only recognises things installed through package management, so it's not going to help you with manually installed themes.
    Ah, thanks for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I did that as I said above and it gives choices of colors but not sizes. Synaptic says I have the big-cursor installed.
    Did you try rebooting first so the cursor icon cache was updated? Did you try Chameleon instead of big-cursor?

Beans

You can use this method to manually install a downloaded third-party cursor theme in Ubuntu Unity 11.10:

Follow the steps here:

http://grynays.deviantart.com/#/d4hyjjl

His cursor theme is a good one to try first. Download link is at right of page. (His download contains an archive within the archive. What you want to get is the Bold-Knob folder within the inner tar.gz archive.)

For a different downloaded cursor, repeat the steps, and just substitute the cursor name in place of 'Bold-Knob' in his command.

EDIT:

His theme's folder contains a file named cursor.theme in addition to index.theme. It seems many other mouse themes (mostly older ones) don't. His terminal command won't work when replacing the cursor theme name with another if cursor.theme is missing from that new theme's folder, as it is a link target. Neither will the cursor.

If it is missing, create a 2-line file cursor.theme with a text editor:

[Icon Theme]
    Inherits=Theme-Name

Replace Theme-Name with the actual cursor theme name (the theme folder name) and save the file as cursor.theme inside the appropriate cursor theme's folder. (requires root privileges).
    Last edited by Dennis N; February 1st, 2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am attaching a screenshot as I did as you said but still nothing new shows up in advanced settings. I have never been able to get any theme working. I am running 11.10 classic no effects.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I am attaching a screenshot as I did as you said but still nothing new shows up in advanced settings. I have never been able to get any theme working. I am running 11.10 classic no effects.
    The instructions outlined in post #22 assume you are using Ubuntu 11.10 Unity Desktop.

I haven't used the classic desktop and don't know how it compares in possibilities for customizing to old gnome 2, which as you know had a nice appearance settings dialog!

My guess (and that's all it is) is that advanced settings has little or no effect on classic desktop, since it is intended for gnome shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried the above but it failed "Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the download directory
    How do I solve this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpalot View Post
    I tried the above but it failed "Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the download directory
    How do I solve this?
    Make sure you have only one package management tool running at a time (Software Center, Synaptic Package Manager, Update Manager or apt-get/aptitude).

Beans

Works GREAT!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123