Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shared Data Partition

Beans

Exclamation Re: Shared Data Partition

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Are you writing to your NTFS partitions from Ubuntu while Windows is in hibernation? That is a sure way of losing data when you next start up Windows. Windows remembers the state of the filesystem and journal when it goes into hibernation and will restore it to that state when it is restarted.
    Thanks for the information. That is good to know as I was unaware of that.

However, That is not the case in my sitaution. Windows is fully shutdown when I am working in Ubuntu.

Any other ideas? Clearly this problem totally defeats the purpose of having a shared partition in a dual boot box.

Beans

Red face Re: Shared Data Partition

Just noticed something else quirky.

When I look at "top" in my terminal it shows the following,

Mem: 8105132k total, 1961136k used, 6143996k free, 222352k buffer
    Swap: 15356k total, 0k used, 15356k free, 1039764k cached

Because I assigned 16MB to swap, and because none of it is being used, I took a look in gparted again and saw the following":

sda1 100.0 MiB ntfs Samsung quick boot partition
    sda2 101.0 GiB ntfs Windows 7 OS (C
    sda3 (Extended)
    ---sda5 50.0GiB ntfs ([Windows D:];[Linux /Windows_D])
    ---sda6 190MiB ext4 /boot
    ---sda7 19.07GiB ext4 /
    ---sda9 740.37GiB ext4 /Home encrypyted

Unallocated 2MiB
    sda8 15MiB Unknown
    sda4 20.77GiB ntfs Samsung Recovery Partition

What is going on? Is swap allocated and recognized or not? How could this have happened and if it isn't recognized do I have to repartition from scratch because the unallocated sda8 precedes my encrypted HOME partition sda9? And why will it only let me expand the swap by 1MiB even though 2MiB are free preceeding it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Shared Data Partition

Are we talking about 16MB or 16GB for swap?

For 16MB you shouldn't have bothered.

Don't expect it to use every single MB space, especially when resizing and if Gparted is rounding to cylinders. There will be gaps of 1-2MB here and there. If we are talking about partitions of GBs, those few MBs don't matter.

On the other hand, if you really made swap 16MB, just forget about it, I would say it's useless.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I would not make a swap partition of less than a one GB on a new lappy. If you want to confirm how much swap you do, or do not have, type in terminal
    Code:
    free -m
    and look under the total column for swap.

As far as your NTFS file sharing problem, I think something unusual is going on for you. I have been using Ubuntu with Windows 7 for years now, and an NTFS partition is where I store almost all my data. I've never had a problem with anything disappearing.

When using multiple OS's I'm a fan of keeping things simple. Your partitions look unnecessarily complicated to me. I'd do ONE partition for Windows 7 OS. Neither OS actually needs a separate partition for the boot files. Also, I think "recovery" partitions are a waste of space, how often do you need a backup on the same drive? I'm not saying don't back up your OS, I just prefer to do it on an external drive.

I would make sure your NTFS partition is a primary partition.

This is the setup I've been using all these years with no trouble.

sda1 (primary): Windows7 OS
    sda2 (primary): NTFS shared personal data storage partition
    sda3 (primary): Ubuntu OS and data files
    Sda4 (primary): Swap
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

After looking again, the only other thing I can think of is that having an encrypted partition for /home is somehow influencing things in an unexpected way. I don't use encryption, so I know very little about how an OS goes about getting data in and out. Is it possible your Ubuntu OS is confused and thinks it also needs to write "encrypted" data to the NTFS partition, which of course Windows will not see correctly? Just a thought, I'm really guessing here. Since I've never had problems with NTFS file-sharing, I'm not sure where to look except at the differences between our systems, and the two major differences are encryption and partitions.

Also, one other question, are ALL Ubuntu-saved files missing upon entering Windows, or is it only some formats? Perhaps the application handling the files could be at fault instead of the OS?
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ToshibaLaptoplinux View Post
    Because I assigned 16MB to swap, and because none of it is being used, I took a look in gparted again and saw the following":

sda1 100.0 MiB ntfs Samsung quick boot partition
    sda2 101.0 GiB ntfs Windows 7 OS (C
    sda3 (Extended)
    ---sda5 50.0GiB ntfs ([Windows D:];[Linux /Windows_D])
    ---sda6 190MiB ext4 /boot
    ---sda7 19.07GiB ext4 /
    ---sda9 740.37GiB ext4 /Home encrypyted

Unallocated 2MiB
    sda8 15MiB Unknown
    sda4 20.77GiB ntfs Samsung Recovery Partition

What is going on? Is swap allocated and recognized or not?
    When you install Ubuntu with an encrypted home partition, your swap partition is automatically encrypted as well. This appears as "unknown" in Gparted but is a usable, albeit encrypted, swap space for your system.

By the way, I agree with darkod. 15-16MB for swap is inadequate.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please do not start discussion of an issue and then start a new thread. We are all volunteers and need to see what others have contributed to correctly add to the discussion.

This thread should just be on the issues of creating a Shared Data Partition as per title.
    Then if OP is having issues using the Shared they should be in his new thread:

Losing data when writing to NTFS partition.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1940122
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Please do not start discussion of an issue and then start a new thread. We are all volunteers and need to see what others have contributed to correctly add to the discussion.

This thread should just be on the issues of creating a Shared Data Partition as per title.
    Then if OP is having issues using the Shared they should be in his new thread:

Losing data when writing to NTFS partition.
    Sorry about that. I thought it was just a natural progression of the thread and the subsequent problem was a direct result of the first problem thus related.

How do you suggest one start a new thread and keep the previous contributors in the loop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do you suggest one start a new thread and keep the previous contributors in the loop?
    You could start a new thread and link back to this one & also link this one to the new one?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry about that. I thought it was just a natural progression of the thread and the subsequent problem was a direct result of the first problem thus related.

@ToshibaLaptoplinux, you started two new threads a little over a week ago. This one about NTFS:

And this one about swap:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1941673

Both of these threads concern issues that you were also asking about in this thread at the same time. This is bad netiquette. Therefore I have closed this thread.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12