Thread: The blank box i get when i try to install hardware drivers

Beans

The blank box i get when i try to install hardware drivers

http://f.imgtmp.com/CEM26.png

Ubuntu has thousands of problems.
    Last edited by Tone303; January 27th, 2012 at 05:17 AM.

Beans

Re: The blank box i get when i try to install hardware drivers

Also unrelated, the bizarre forum admin-set screen i get if i try to EDIT OPTIONS, CHANGE DETAILS, CHANGE EMAIL:

Tone303, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account has less than 50 posts.
    2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone303 View Post
    Also unrelated, the bizarre forum admin-set screen i get if i try to EDIT OPTIONS, CHANGE DETAILS, CHANGE EMAIL:

Tone303, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account has less than 50 posts.
    2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Please read Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What drivers are you missing? Ubuntu comes with most of what you need. The Hardware Drivers program doesn't list the drivers that it comes with, only the drivers that it knows need to be downloaded because they are made by the manufacturer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    What drivers are you missing? Ubuntu comes with most of what you need. The Hardware Drivers program doesn't list the drivers that it comes with, only the drivers that it knows need to be downloaded because they are made by the manufacturer.
    No, thats not true because a quick test to see if you have drivers is to go to System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects and try to click NORMAL or EXTRA -- If you do so and it says "Searching For Drivers", this indicates you do not have drivers.

NORMAL & EXTRA in visual effects tab would work if drivers are present.

A broken blank box does NOT mean your drivers came bundled with the original install.