Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Hi-Jacking Computers?

Beans

Re: Google Hi-Jacking Computers?

Thanks Charles and Dangertux..

My understanding was that Firestarter was simply as you Charles said, an adjustment tool FOR THE UFW to set how it functions and that you didn't have to mess with it. Unfortunately, my Internet connection speeds are only 1.5mb/sec max and when I visit pages that have things trying to load like loadus.excelator.com and connect.facebook.net , (and many other things I do not use, want or need), it seriously delays my actual desired web page from loading. At least Firestarter gives me a way to kill them by modifying the outbound traffic policy. I realize Firestarter is no longer supported but it does still work. Platform.twitter.com was killed and THAT was a wonderful thing. That delayed my pages loading by at least 30 seconds. Might as well have been on dial up. So, the GUFW I understand is basically the same thing. A different GUI for controlling the UFW. Is this right? Does it allow me to block scripts, connections, etc or is it also a "set and forget" program?

Also, any advice as to how to stop Google's scripts from running as a whole? Like maybe through AdBlock Plus? I have it installed and write rules to block unwanted "images" (and scripts) on each and every page I go on, but it seems like a never-ending battle. I realize that Google and others say they are "trying to customize my web-experience to my tastes" (which is mostly BS in my opinion), but I don't want any "big brother" like Google or Facebook, et al. spying on me mainly because it slows down my page loading speed and therefore wastes my time. I do not use either service so why should they slow me down?

The Internet used to not be so complicated, corrupt and riddled with crap. What happened?

Anyway, can you address my question re: a spyware detection program for Ubuntu? Is it even theoretically possible to get spyware if the jacknuts do not have access to root?

I love Ubuntu, and heaven knows it's SOOOOOOOOOO much better (in a whole other universe) than Microshat, but it's becoming a pain with all of these page hitch-hikers loading. Sure wish you could right click on the process scroll at the bottom of the page when something is loading and kill it dead, once and for all pages to come. A "Daisy Cutter" of sorts for scripts. Are you listening programmers? LOL

I am still NOT convinced that I have a clean machine as the Internet connections to these Google i.p.'s occur occasionally even when the browser hasn't even been launched yet. Explain that one if you can!

Thanks to all. Stay tuned for my response from the Cybercrime Division of the DOJ!

Rock on, (Being a bass player myself, I dig this one). Looks like my Chris Beattie Sig. Dinky!

Thanks again you guys.

Jax
    Last edited by Jackson45acp; January 27th, 2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Dazed and confused...

Beans

Please delete this or tell me how!
    Last edited by Jackson45acp; January 27th, 2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: I am a noob.

Beans

Dangertux:

Any way to kill the Google APIs from ever running in the first place?

Jax
    Last edited by Jackson45acp; January 27th, 2012 at 02:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't install chrome or any other google products, don't use sites that are in any way affiliated with google (in other words, disreputable or unlisted sites) and use an isp that blocks google (i'm not personally aware of any that do it).

You may want to read more about googles revised privacy policy also.

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/25/145859...privacy-policy

I like npr, there's plenty more info than this on the net though.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Running Firefox with NoScript/Adblock Plus will block 90% of those.

You have rkhunter and a couple other "malware" scanners, but most of the time they report false positives.

Even without NoScript, the chance of getting some form of malware on a *nix box is very slim. With NoScript, the chance is almost nothing.
    Last edited by CharlesA; January 27th, 2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: added more infos
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Running Firefox with NoScript/Adblock Plus will block 90% of those.

You have rkhunter and a couple other "malware" scanners, but most of the time they report false positives.

Even without NoScript, the chance of getting some form of malware on a *nix box is very slim. With NoScript, the chance is almost nothing.
    That pretty much covers it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Don't install chrome or any other google products, don't use sites that are in any way affiliated with google (in other words, disreputable or unlisted sites) and use an isp that blocks google (i'm not personally aware of any that do it).

You may want to read more about googles revised privacy policy also.

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/25/145859...privacy-policy

I like npr, there's plenty more info than this on the net though.
    This is just the case for me to find another search engine. Wherever I go, there I am.

I really don't want to let them know where I was let alone where I am going.
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

EtherApe is a great graphic tool for seeing what IPs you are connected to and seeing which protocol said connections are using. EtherApe is in the repos and installed via Ubuntu Software Center or CLI.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bluexrider View Post
    This is just the case for me to find another search engine. Wherever I go, there I am.

I'd suggest duck duck go Private and no tracking (they claim)

http://duckduckgo.com/
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bluexrider View Post

Hey everyone...

Thanks for the great tips from all. I plan on installing NoScript right after I finish this post, and am going to also try out Etherape and maybe even Rkhunter just to see what shows up. I can usually tell what is a false pos with a little research. Great information from all.

Now then, BlueXrider.... bitchin scooter btw.... for a new private browser, I have read a bit about ixquick, which is bassed out of Europe and has won the very first European Privacy Seal and it sounds like a nice search engine. The European countries demand privacy on the Internet, so maybe this is a good one. Seems pretty tight from what I have read about it. I have not yet tried it however. Has anyone checked it out yet?

Anyway, thanks again to all for the help on my issues. I will post a follow up experience report with all of the above mentioned programs. Hopefully, after NoScript is on board, life will be good again.

Many thanks, lads.

Jax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast