Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: distro for ibook g3

Beans

Re: distro for ibook g3

I don't know if you still want this answer but I've tried the few options that are still available there for my Clamshell G3, 366mhz, 576 RAM, 40 GB HD and, definitely, it works fine with ubuntu 10.10 although I haven't managed to make Airport work (I'm a real novice with Linux).

You can install ubuntu 10.10 using the ISO CD without problems, instructions are very clear to follow (use the alternative version ISO). Once installed, it is very custumizable (the true reason why I prefer it to Tiger), I can't configure Airport yet but with a wired connection works fine (with 9.10 Airport it used to work). Pidgin, Mozilla, OpenOffice, GIMP, and some other programs work slowly but steadily considering that it is a +10 year-old computer.

I've tried Debian Lenny which worked fine but with no sound, MintPPC 9 (a good option and it can still configure Airport), Xubuntu (to be honest I've found not much difference in performance compared to ubuntu) but works fine too (but again, no Airport), Kubuntu is heavy but it did run.

I chose ubuntu 10.10 and I'm happy with this distro because it lets me take advantage of my old but pretty laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rcbfour View Post
    Even thorugh I do want fedora, I think im going to go with linux mintppc
    Did you get Linux Mintppc running? I tried to but the CD images were unavailable for some days and then when I got them they gave kernel panics.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbfour View Post
    Indecision! I am testing out kubuntu from cd, but it looks pretty grim. a bunch of I/0 errors and squachfs errors. How do you install Lubuntu? does it have to run on top of something? I am a noob at linux, and have no idea what the heck is going on. HELP!
    Kubuntu (KDE4) is a bit heavy for older processors now. Better to use LXDE which is part of Lubuntu or even just a plain window manager like Openbox, Fluxbox or FVWM-Crystal. You can find the Lubuntu CD here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily/current/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Agreed. LXDE makes a huge difference versus the heavyweight window managers.

Beans

wlan

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnduran View Post
    although I haven't managed to make Airport work (I'm a real novice with Linux).
    Have you had a look at the PowerPC FAQ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12