Thread: "Known Good" USB stick for Unetbootin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

"Known Good" USB stick for Unetbootin?

Tried creating a bootable Linux installer yesterday. Using a GParted LiveCD, I formatted a thumb drive to fat32 as suggested at Unetbootin website. Downloaded unetbootin from repos. Fired up the application and asked it to create a bootable drive from an .iso saved to the Desktop. Everything appeared to go OK but the stick won't boot.

I tried the drive in a couple of different PC's. Using the Boot Options keys, I chose USB device. In both cases, the PC appears to look at the thumb drive, then boots from HDD.

If I open the thumb drive from a running Linux PC, the contents look like a LiveCD to me; the same filenames, etc.

I think I'll try again by booting from a LiveCD, then going to Start-Up Disc Creator. If that doesn't work I'll try again using PenDrive on a Windows PC. In the meantime can anyone suggest a "known good" brand of thumb drive? Some comments online indicate some thumb drives just don't work as bootable.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: "Known Good" USB stick for Unetbootin?

Some usb's have installed security software and can give you trouble.

Myself, I use PNY usb's for linux without trouble. They have been totally dependable and best part; PNY is cheap.

I really think just about any usb will work that comes with nothing pre-installed on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm careful to buy plain old blank drives. I've got a 2GB PNY, will try that next.

I got nowheres with PenDrive. I tried several CD's but couldn't get any of them to load into PenDrive. It looked like I coulda downloaded but I'm on satellite. Can't waste bandwidth.

So I tried Ubuntu Start-Up Disk Creator. I'm getting this same message (attached) whether I try from a LiveCD or try from the Desktop.

EDIT: Well, I got further with the PNY thumb drive than the first one. The first drive is brand-named Tone. A guy gave it to me.

Using the PNY, Ubuntu Start-Up Disk Creator gave me no troubles. Did its thing. But when I rebooted trying to use the disc I got a black screen.

"No init found. Try passing init: bootary"
    "BusyBox v.1.33"

There was some other stuff, but when we get to this sort of thing I retreat.

ANOTHER EDIT: Sorry, it's a Sony-branded thumb drive I was trying out next, not PNY. So I tried it again, but this time I asked the Ubuntu Start-up Disk Creator (USUDC) to "Erase Disk" first. Then did the rest of it over again. This time it's working.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bartender; January 25th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

It may not be the USB stick -- it may be unetbootin.

I tried using unetbooting to create a bootable USB for 12.04 -- and while the app said it worked, the USB stick would not boot.

So, I tried again, using the same USB stick, but this time, with the Universal USB Installer, downloaded from PendriveLinux.com.

This time, using the same USB stick, it booted just fine.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.