Thread: gparted causes multiple entries in nautilus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

gparted causes multiple entries in nautilus

This is a a strange one to me... Every time I start gparted, the partition list shown in nautilus is duplicated until I reboot; I have 2 sets of directories showing. It doesn't cause any problems, it's just annoying. The first set of entries are not mounted and won't because the partitions are already mounted on the second set of entries. mtab shows all the correct mounts.

Anyone have this issue? I can't seem to find any entries on this subject even off the forum. I've done a general search on the internet and also the gparted forum. Nothing...

I'm running lynx.

... also logging in and out clears the extra directories.
    Last edited by cornflake000; January 24th, 2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added item

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: gparted causes multiple entries in nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by cornflake000 View Post
    This is a a strange one to me... Every time I start gparted, the partition list shown in nautilus is duplicated until I reboot; I have 2 sets of directories showing. It doesn't cause any problems, it's just annoying. The first set of entries are not mounted and won't because the partitions are already mounted on the second set of entries. mtab shows all the correct mounts.
    When gparted starts it rereads the Partition Table using the partprobe tool (or some mechanism that does the same thing).

If your system somehow creates duplicate entries when this is done then your system has a problem.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Nautilus will show duplicates if you mount a partition in /home or /media. I just mount in /mnt like /mnt/data and link folders into /home to avoid the issue.

Duplicate mounts of partitions in Nautilus left panel
    use /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxx...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1561929
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Nautilus will show duplicates if you mount a partition in /home or /media.
    Which is why people should never, ever mount things in System controlled folders - as those two listed are.

Pity so many brain-dead HOWTOs around the place either tell them to make this mistake or don't tell them not to do this.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Pity so many brain-dead HOWTOs around the place either tell them to make this mistake or don't tell them not to do this.
    The only mention I have ever heard of not using /media as a mount point are in 2 installation specific instructions I read while using Gentoo. Outside of that, this is the first I have heard of it in 10 years. Like you say, most instructions tell you to use it.

... never, ever mount things in System controlled folders "like /media"...
    No reflection on dcstar but.... can anyone confirm that this is true? It's just I've never heard of it and Linux is definitely not new to me.

also... "Duplicate mounts of partitions in Nautilus left panel - use /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxx..." This made no difference for me.

one more edit...

I have mounted only one partition in /media that is not a system mount using fstab. Everything else is automatically mounted by the system in /media (home, /, swap) or is a default in fstab (fd0); all the sda* and sdb*, floppys, cdroms, are in /media by default. All of these are duplicated when I start gparted and duplicates disappear when I logout and login.
    Last edited by cornflake000; January 25th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not think it is straightforward. How is removeable different from temporary?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesys...archy_Standard
    /media/ Mount points for removable media such as CD-ROMs (appeared in FHS-2.3).
    /mnt/ Temporarily mounted filesystems.
    But old links:
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-...EDIAMOUNTPOINT

/media : Mount point for removeable media
    This directory contains subdirectories which are used as mount points for removeable media such as floppy disks, cdroms and zip disks.
    Historically there have been a number of other different places used to mount removeable media such as /cdrom, /mnt or /mnt/cdrom. Placing the mount points for all removeable media directly in the root directory would potentially result in a large number of extra directories in /. Although the use of subdirectories in /mnt as a mount point has recently been common, it conflicts with a much older tradition of using /mnt directly as a temporary mount point.

/mnt : Mount point for a temporarily mounted filesystem
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I do not think it is straightforward. How is removeable different from temporary?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesys...archy_Standard
    But old links:
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-...EDIAMOUNTPOINT
    So it seems we are talking about tradition and continuity rather than conflicts or absolutes which is what I have always thought; you can theoretically mount anything wherever you wish.

This seems to give the notion that one would consider using / to mount non-removable or non-temporary partitions that I wish to name and mount. All "left overs" are thrown into media by default. For instance sda* and sdb* that are not specified in fstab are in /media without my input. They are neither temporary nor removable. I would suppose the system considers them to be "temporary".