Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem while booting operating system

Beans

Angry Problem while booting operating system

Hi,
    I am facing a problem with my OS. Ubuntu is not showing up, while booting I get a black screen with this message

mount:mounting/dev/disk/by-uuid/27ef6c5d-5e4f-4246-aef3-a38d53f0425eon /root failed: file too large
    mount: mounting/dev on/root/dev failed:No such file or directory
    mount: mounting/sys on/root/sys failed:No such file or directory
    mount: mounting/proc on/root/proc failed:No such file or directory
    Target file system doesn't have /sbin/init
    No init fount. Try passing init= bootarg

BusyBox v1.13.3 (ubuntu 1:1.13.3 - 1ubuntu11)
    built- in shell (ash)
    enter 'help' for a list of built - in commands

(initranfs)_

I don't know how to get rid of this problem. Someone please help!!, I have lods of physics documents in there and I can't access them.

Also is there any way I can access my files in ubuntu via windows OS. I have dual boot Windows+Ubuntu.

Help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Problem while booting operating system

Hello there!

I'm not sure about the booting issue itself (though suspect the "file too large" aspect may be related) but you may well be able to access your files still. I personally have not had any joy with the applications you can in theory use to allow Windows to "see" Linux partitions, however if you can burn a LiveCD you should be able to boot from it, select "Try Ubuntu", enter the desktop environment and from there use the window manager (Places > Home Folder) to view your Ubuntu partition(s), and move files from Ubuntu to Windows. Let us know how this goes and if you need any help/it doesn't work!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello.First off all, warm welcome to the forums.
    Before you repair your grub, i suggest you to boot into a LiveCD, select the "Tyr Ubuntu" thing, and have a live session going on. After that, you copy all your important data stuffs to dvd/external hdd and then be safe with your data. After you do that, read below:
    If you are in a dual boot machine, i suggest you read the following:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=690912
    elseif you are simply running ubuntu,i would suggest you read the following:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769482 or
    http://sazeit.com/articles/repair-or...th-boot-repair

Hope they help you out. Goodluck

goodluck.
    Last edited by WinuxUser; January 24th, 2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: added extra information
    I am # 34550 and # 547844

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuaSwe View Post
    Hello there!

I'm not sure about the booting issue itself (though suspect the "file too large" aspect may be related) but you may well be able to access your files still. I personally have not had any joy with the applications you can in theory use to allow Windows to "see" Linux partitions, however if you can burn a LiveCD you should be able to boot from it, select "Try Ubuntu", enter the desktop environment and from there use the window manager (Places > Home Folder) to view your Ubuntu partition(s), and move files from Ubuntu to Windows. Let us know how this goes and if you need any help/it doesn't work!
    Hi SuaSwe,

Unable to mount the drive and can't backup things ....
    Any clue...
    When running in LiveCD I tried opening drive (Linux partition) containing files but as soon as I tried to open drive it showed me the massage

" Unable to mount: File too large"

How to get rid of this...I don't want to loose my documents .....Help!!!!
    Last edited by roopeshmicasa; January 25th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    Hello.First off all, warm welcome to the forums.
    Before you repair your grub, i suggest you to boot into a LiveCD, select the "Tyr Ubuntu" thing, and have a live session going on. After that, you copy all your important data stuffs to dvd/external hdd and then be safe with your data. After you do that, read below:
    If you are in a dual boot machine, i suggest you read the following:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=690912
    elseif you are simply running ubuntu,i would suggest you read the following:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769482 or
    http://sazeit.com/articles/repair-or...th-boot-repair

Hope they help you out. Goodluck

goodluck.

Hi WinuxUser,

Unable to mount the drive and can't backup things ....
    Any clue...
    When running in LiveCD I tried opening drive (Linux partition) containing files but as soon as I tried to open drive it showed me the massage

" Unable to mount: File too large"

How to get rid of this...I don't want to loose my documents .....Help!!!

When I tried mounting it in terminal to fix boot loader ...I get this massage

" Error: File to large "

Please help and I really need those files exactly in the condition I left in there...Is there any other way to backup files...
    Last edited by roopeshmicasa; January 25th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by roopeshmicasa View Post
    ....Is there any other way to backup files...
    Read these:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/backup
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087
    the second link tells you how to backup and restore your grub as well.....try those once

Im not sure how your partitions are, nor know if its a dual-boot or a single boot machine, nor do i know any specs of your h/w. So its better if you would provide a snapshot of your current partition schemes and clarify your machine's specs
    Last edited by WinuxUser; January 26th, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
    I am # 34550 and # 547844

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi roopeshmicasa,

I saw your other post about this issue in General Help - you mention that you still require assistance with this issue however you do not appear to have answered to WinuxUser's last message, which may help you resolve the problem. It's not looking great that you're not able to mount your old drives using the LiveCD, but often it's possible to recover partitions even when something has gone badly wrong. Read the articles in WinuxUser's last post for more details!

Beans
    Hidden!

From the live CD/USB system open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck /dev/sdx#
    where sdx# is your corrupt ubuntu partition. That may fix the filesystem problems for you.

I have never heard of or seen that error message you get when trying to mount the partition. To run e2fsck the partition must be unmounted, but that does not seem as though it will be a problem to you at the moment.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    Read these:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/backup
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087
    the second link tells you how to backup and restore your grub as well.....try those once

Im not sure how your partitions are, nor know if its a dual-boot or a single boot machine, nor do i know any specs of your h/w. So its better if you would provide a snapshot of your current partition schemes and clarify your machine's specs
    Sorry but I am not that Techie, so, if you can also guide me how to take snapshot of partition I would be very grateful. Also I have no idea about machine's specs, please help me in this as well. Please consider that I am just a person who is slaved to computers for some of my simple wok and doesn't have any idea about how it works . I am using windows currently, so, please give me step by step guide to tell you about the things you are asking.

I read both of the links given above by you. The second one is about backing up system first and then restoring it again. I think I Never backed up anything, so, restoring is not possible as guided. First link is about the same concept where you first back things (os) in something called .tar and then restore back. It also has something where I can rescue by making image of the corrupt drive. I don't have any free storage drive where I can make image and then workout on the lost (kindof) files.

I think there is some problem with the linux partition and it is so messed up that I can not even access it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    From the live CD/USB system open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck /dev/sdx#
    where sdx# is your corrupt ubuntu partition. That may fix the filesystem problems for you.

I have never heard of or seen that error message you get when trying to mount the partition. To run e2fsck the partition must be unmounted, but that does not seem as though it will be a problem to you at the moment.

I ran the command suggested by you but still the problem isn't resolved. Still can't mount it and get the same message: Unable to mount: File too large.

Here is the output of the command

e2fsck 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
    Found invalid V2 journal superblock fields (from V1 journal)
    Clearing fields beyond the V1 journal superblock
    /dev/sdb1: recovering journal
    Backingup journal inode block information
    Adding dirhash hird to filesystem
    /dev/sdb1 contains a file system with errors, check forced
    Pass 1: checking inode, blocks and sizes
    Pass 2: checking directory structure
    Pass 3: checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: checking reference count
    Pass 5: checking group summary information

/dev/sdb1: *****FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED*****
    /dev/sdb1: 230063/2883584 files (0.3% non-contiguous), 1994923/11528389 Blocks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast