Thread: Moments worth living for

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moments worth living for

We all wound up on earth with no explanation, this thread is for people who would like to share the moments that make life sweeter.

In Chicago, around the campus of UIC, there's a park that belongs to the school. It's situated next to the interstate so one of the suspended freeway signs is anchored to the earth of the park. My girlfriend and I climbed into the cage holding the sign and walked across, over the freeway. We walked to the middle of the sign and the cars rushed by 40 feet below. We looked out at the nighttime Chicago skyline and shared a kiss. Best moment of my life. What's yours?
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Distro

Re: Moments worth living for

My best moment so far was when I got hired on for an internship to a FOSS project that I've loved for a long time. I work with people that I really look up to, and I've made a lot of friends in the community that way.

It might not sound like the most exciting thing, but it's definitely starting on a happy note, especially after my long period of working part-time jobs, and scraping together unemployment checks since I got stiffed by a previous employer.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not applicable.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

This is just one example.

When I realized that what I feel about myself and my accomplishments is more important than what other people think of me or my accomplishments. I am truly happy only when I am happy with myself and my ability to accomplish my own personal goals.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; January 24th, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

One of the best was when my daughter started recognizing people and her face would light up when my wife or I entered the room. There is nothing quite so heart warming as an infant smiling at you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrl-Alt-F1 View Post
    One of the best was when my daughter started recognizing people and her face would light up when my wife or I entered the room. There is nothing quite so heart warming as an infant smiling at you.
    I wholeheartedly agree. My infant brother is just on the verge of talking, so everything that comes out of his mouth is adorable, excited babbling. He'll look up at me, smile, point at something, and say something like "Da-da! Da da da da daaaa!", and smile.

That kind of simple joy is the very best kind of feeling.

Beans

The moment when I finally realized what it was that I loved to do. It was a mix of "I have gone completely nuts" and "I can't believe I never realized it"

Out of college with an economics degree, I didn't have FT work.. it was a bad year and I suppose my job hunting skills were lacking. One day, I realized that I had been learning to program for three days straight instead of looking for work like I was supposed to. That was probably the first time I had a true epiphany and took a real risk: I switched fields to CS with a real aim to become a software developer. I haven't reached that goal yet, but I am enrolled in university now and recently landed a paid position as a research assistant.

What I really want to emphasize is that having a plan that you believe in, no matter how crazy, makes all the difference - and the moment I realized it is one I won't be forgetting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrl-Alt-F1 View Post
    +10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The first time my daughter started hugging back when picked up. Little kids give great hugs.