Thread: Looking for PHP Developers to assist with forums upgrade

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Looking for PHP Developers to assist with forums upgrade

The Ubuntu Community is looking for a PHP/OpenID hero to help us in a bit of a bind we have on the forums.

The forums need a branding update, as well as an update to the vbulletin software we are running. Unfortunately Vbulletin doesn’t support openid(!).

Let us please not bring alternates to Vb into the discussion just yet.

In the past there was a bit of custom php that was done in order to enable Ubuntu users to use their Ubuntu Single Sign On account. This doesn’t work with the new version of vbulletin, and this is a blocker to the upgrade.

The Forums Council is thus in search of a volunteer(s) that would be willing to work with the Canonical IS team and the Forums Council to make this happen. Ideally you’d be comfortable with PHP and vbulletin already, and wouldn’t mind a brutal security review from the IS and security teams in Ubuntu, but hey, you’d be the guy that fixed logins on the forums, with all the fame (or infamy) and glory that it entails.

Feel free to PM the Forums Council if you’re interested. The forums have always been a crucial element of Ubuntu’s success, and it’d be a great way to contribute if you’re looking for something to do.

See also : http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/1616...king-for-a-php
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Looking for PHP Developers to assist with forums upgrade

I'm kinda interested, but i need to know more details first, so could you either pm me here or on the IRC, if I'm not on you could just leave me a message in either places and I'll check it as soon as i get online.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi Boss,

please do not shout at me, but I did warn well over a year ago about how badly things had got with vB. Now is a really bad time to be asking, but if you could give it a couple of weeks whilst the guy I know has his partner out of ICU owing to drunk-driver I will be more than happy to ask his assistance. It will most likely do him good to concentrate his mind on a task. You have always been kind enough to help us, so I guess we owe you one.

And before you scream, I was jesting about the "we owe you one" - we do not do things expecting anything in return.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you to everyone who has offered to help, both here and elsewhere.

We are in process of determining who will assist, a team effort would be appreciated.

We are in process of determining how to access a test server. We should probably establish a location on Launchpad (or elsewhere) to post the code.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you to all those who have volunteered (you know who you are).

We started a LP team so as volunteers can share code and coordinate efforts.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuforumssso

If you are not listed on that team, contact one of the FC members, be sure to include your email and a link to your LP page.

We are working on (private) access to a test server.

Once we have a SSO plugin working -> Forums upgrade is next.