Thread: undoing windows applied encryption mistakes

Beans

undoing windows applied encryption mistakes

Hi guys
    New to this forum (but not forums generally) so if this is in the wrong place, please forgive me.
    I have been having the best time ever with Linux generally, utterly loving 10.04.3lts, should have switched uears ago, instead of 20 months ago. Anyway....

I have a HDD that was part of my old windows setup. There's a folder on there that was marked "read only" and possibly encrypted by windows, the contents of which I would very much like to access and use, however despite all the permissions apparently being 7.7.7 I still get "permission denied" whenever I try to read any of them.
    What I'm hoping to find out is if there's any way that I can get my files free using any method. My worry is that windows will be the only way to free them, and even then, if they've been encrypted by a specific install they may not be recoverable at all. I don't want to have to use some úber-expensive federal/military-grade decryption software just to release 200 images, but I fear that's the only way to do it, which means I'll simply have to live without them.

Regards
    ~webclam~

Beans

Re: undoing windows applied encryption mistakes

webclam,
    do you have the name of this file as used by windows? I ask because could it be something to do with windows internal workings and that may well be a hard nut to crack.