Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i think i deleted my latest Kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i think i deleted my latest Kernel

this is what happened; i tried to free disk space an d used the ubuntu tweak, it listed two old kernels, and 177 libs and a packeg that where deletables, so i did it listed a good 545mb to free up; now that was yesterday, this morning i starup the computer and after choosing Ubuntu (dual boot) it started (got the puorplish background an d then) i got a black background, so i restsrted it and went into recovery mode, i tried all the options and in root shell w/networking i typed Unity, and i come back with WARNING: no DISPLAY variable,setting to 0 .... no unity-panel-ser.... Fatal couldnt open DISPLAY; so i typed Display and got: unable to open Xsever then i typed lshv -c video and it list my video card and the on boardvideo, then typed lshv -c video and got no Display; HOW CAN I REINSTALL my Kernel?

Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit
    Last edited by gabrielaca; January 22nd, 2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: lack of detail
    intel quad 6600 Bo 8G ram, asus PK5dluxe, 1@500G and 1@1tb sataII JBOD, asus ati 5450 @500mb ddr3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: i think i deleted my latest Kernel

Are you sure it's missing?
    Use the ubuntu cd to boot into live mode, open your root partition and look into the /boot folder.
    Do you see any vmlinuz and initrd files there?

Even if the latest kernel is missing, it should be able to boot an earlier one if available.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

yes there are both, thou initrd is a rar file
    intel quad 6600 Bo 8G ram, asus PK5dluxe, 1@500G and 1@1tb sataII JBOD, asus ati 5450 @500mb ddr3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In that case the kernel is there.
    Your problem might be a result of something else that was removed and wasn't supposed to. But I have no idea what unfortunately. Sorry.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

thanks anyway.

Beans
    Distro

i´m thinking of making a full reinstall, BUT my important files are locked and if i try to move them it tells me, no cant do you got not enough permision, how can i declare my pasword? im trying to move them to another computer (windows) via netcable.

Beans

Does Ubuntu Tweak have a forum or any documentation to help you repair the damage it made to your system?

In the future I recommend using trusted tools such as the Ubuntu Software Center to administer your system.

Beans
    Distro

a smack in the hand; thanks, next time, yeah.

would you help me in trying to gain acces to my files via Terminal or whatever way to move my files? im on Live CD and got acces to another PC (win)i need to imput my passw in order to move them, any ideas?

Beans

If you are on the Live CD then you can press Alt+F2 and type:

Code:
    gksu nautilus
    This will open your File Manager with "root" privileges so you can copy whatever files you like for backup purposes.

Beans
    Distro

Nutilus can not handle "network" locations, any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast