Thread: i need an ubuntu live cd for powerpc that comes with gnash flash player

Beans

Unhappy i need an ubuntu live cd for powerpc that comes with gnash flash player

i have a powerbook g4 alinimum with a dead hard drive and i have ubuntu 12.04 running off live cd its good for doing my homework and thats it
    i want to play some online games but stock ubuntu dosent come with flash or gnash
    i was wondering if any one made there own live cd that comes with flash and perfurably has mp3 codecs also. i dont care what version and it dosent even need to be ubuntu it just has to have flash and suport powerpc
    ps. sorry about my speling

Beans

Re: i need an ubuntu live cd for powerpc that comes with gnash flash player

Quote Originally Posted by kdude55 View Post
    i have a powerbook g4 alinimum with a dead hard drive and i have ubuntu 12.04 running off live cd its good for doing my homework and thats it
    i want to play some online games but stock ubuntu dosent come with flash or gnash
    i was wondering if any one made there own live cd that comes with flash and perfurably has mp3 codecs also. i dont care what version and it dosent even need to be ubuntu it just has to have flash and suport powerpc
    ps. sorry about my speling
    Have you tried to find a cheap HD on Ebay? There are really very cheap ones, you know? Running from the live CD is slow.
    Desktop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, with Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti graphics; Laptop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz

Beans

A live USB stick would be faster than Live CD (it is possible for PPC, not too hard, but a couple more steps than on x86)

Also: You can kind of work around a live cd/usb by loading packages when you startup the live session.

First, boot the live cd/usb without installing any extra programs/packages. Then download each extra package you want to add with:

sudo apt-get install -d [package-name]

This will not install the packages, but will save them to /var/cache/apt/archives. After you've downloaded the files, copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives to an extra flash drive (not the one you boot from, if you decide to go that route). In this example, we're going to assume you copied the files to a directory called "startup_packages" on your usb stick (in this example it has the label "USB_DRIVE_NAME").

Now, whenever you reboot, on startup, mount your extra usb stick and run:

sudo dpkg -i /media/USB_DRIVE_NAME/startup_packages/*.deb

An advantage of doing it this way (over creating a custom live image) is you can add/remove extra programs without too much effort.
    Last edited by gwjvan; January 24th, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I hate to be a naysayer but gnash really is not up to task for on-line flash games, and there is no adobe flash for powerpc linux. When my kids want to play Friv I have to reboot into Mac Os X. IF you are using a powerpc mac and have the original tiger (or leopard) install disk you could install this on a USB drive if a new hard drive is really not on option - but a second hand hd on ebay could be almost as cheap as a USB stick anyway! I think the latest version of adobe flash for powerpc os x is 10.1.102.64, but I believe there is a hack to get sites that require flash 11 working.
    A 1Ghz G4 iMac 'Lampy' with MintPPC 9 & OS X 10.5, a 400Mhz Slot loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4, a 1Ghz eMac with Lubuntu 12.04 and a 233Mhz Tray Loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4

Beans

i also forgot to say i dont have an osx install disk an i would like to know how to boot from usb i tried to instal to extrnal hard drive but it wont show up on the mac boot loader and i dont realy know anything about yaboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can make a live usb with the instructions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ

Afraid I don't know how to make a 'persistence loop' on a powerpc (to save changes). If you want a proper install on usb, you can do that from the live cd/usb. then you can either chose it by holding down the alt key when you switch it on (even if your extenal HD won't show up, a usb stick might), or you are feeling brave with yaboot can edit the yaboot.conf file according to the advice here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ and here http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...#manual_yaboot
    A 1Ghz G4 iMac 'Lampy' with MintPPC 9 & OS X 10.5, a 400Mhz Slot loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4, a 1Ghz eMac with Lubuntu 12.04 and a 233Mhz Tray Loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Be forewarned that Flash on PPC is pitiful, regardless of what player you use...

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but my setup was a dual 1.8 Ghz G4 tower with 1.5 GB RAM, and any "HD" flash was totally unusable, if you plan to watch youtube and the like...

Heck, even on OS X, Flash for PPC is reallly bad.

Beans

i am trying to play a flash game that will run in flash 7 and ubove and i made a bootable usb stick and it would not load my understanding is that the only way to run any os from usb on powerpc is if you back up your internal to external using superduper and it will only work usin mac osx and i dont have a mac os x disk i actualy found this laptop in the trash it came with tiger but when i get the monie to buy leopard im just going to buy that and run that in the mean time im just going to run ubuntu 12.04

Beans

(erly alpha) live cd i will try to run apps that are on a flash drive