Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindle for PC with Wine...????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Kindle for PC with Wine...????

Has anyone downloaded this and got it working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kindle for PC with Wine...????

Hi there!

Interesting.. I had it in my head that this was a no go, don't know why, I just looked on WineHQ and saw most versions of kindle for PC have between a silver and platinum rating, so i'll try and install and report back - as I already have a kindle account

All the best!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi there all working!

I upgraded wine on 11.10, installed the Kindle for PC .exe from amazon - the installer completes fine, but Kindle crashes on boot.

I took the fix from the wine HQ site:

Navigate here
    Code:
    cd .wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests
    And rename the following file
    Code:
    mv -v x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_deadbeef.manifest x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_deadbeef.manifest.old
    The fix suggests making the directory read only, but I wasn't sure what other negatives this may have in the future, so I just saved some info on how to fix the problem in a .txt file inside the .wine directory for future reference.

But yes, once done, it's working on 11.10 and 12.04 now - picked up my ebooks from the mirror and opened the browser to let my buy a new one.

All good from the limited testing

Hope it helps!

Edit Kindle content is stored in your home directory under /My\ Kindle\ Content
    Last edited by Double.J; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you! Working beautifully now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wow pretty obscure but works, thanks!

Beans

What the...?

That is by far the craziest fix I've encountered yet.

But it works! Thanks!

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Kindle for PC with Wine...????

I will confirm that this fix is working with Wine 1.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and the latest Kindle available from Amazon's website today (1.10.5 - 40382).

Thanks for the post! I will definitely be purchasing the Kindle books for my online class this semester rather than paper ones, since I can now read them on my Ubuntu laptop!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Schnable View Post
    I will confirm that this fix is working with Wine 1.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and the latest Kindle available from Amazon's website today (1.10.5 - 40382).

Thanks for the post! I will definitely be purchasing the Kindle books for my online class this semester rather than paper ones, since I can now read them on my Ubuntu laptop!
    you can do that but then you'd get no resale value at all and college books are damn expensive. also i'd invest in a real kindle. if you can afford college textbooks a $70 kindle wouldn't hurt you much.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    you can do that but then you'd get no resale value at all and college books are damn expensive. also i'd invest in a real kindle. if you can afford college textbooks a $70 kindle wouldn't hurt you much.
    I thought about the resale value, but for a $50 and $8 book for my online class, I thought the portability and keyword search ability were worth the loss.

I have the Kindle app on my iPad, but having the book on the computer which I'll be using most of the time for coursework seems more advantageous.

Beans
    Hidden!

Works for me in ubuntu 12.10.
    Thanks a lot.
    Regards,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast